SOLVED Resize a zvol on a pool

massmux

Dabbler
I have this config: 10x6TB disks with raidz2. This is divided in 5 zvol of 4,6 TB each. I have a free about 8TB space unallocated into the pool. Each zvol is shared with iscsi.
I would like to use the free space to raise the zvol dimensions without loosing data inside them and creating iscsi issues. Anybody already did it and has infos?

massmux

Dabbler
thank you dlavigne, i know that part of manual thanks. i was asking if some one has tried it on a production environment and faced some issue

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If it's in the manual, assume it works and please tell us immediately if it doesn't!

massmux

Dabbler
Since i have to do that on production iscsi environment... I was quite afraid

massmux

Dabbler
in your opinion. if i do a local snapshot before resizing, would this be a good security for rolling back the zvol in case of issues?

Stux

MVP
in your opinion. if i do a local snapshot before resizing, would this be a good security for rolling back the zvol in case of issues?

I doubt it.

massmux

Dabbler
Just to inform everybody who had the same need that i did the resize procedure and everything went fine.
Before starting i took a snapshot of the zvolume just to be sure.
then i did resize of the zvol to the desired new size (bigger) and saved. Restarted the iscsi service to make the share reflecting the correct size and then on xenserver side i rescanned the SR. In this way the new size was reflected on the initiator side.

antikurjers

Cadet
HI! I have a problem. Im testing how FreeNas 11.2 work
I make:
1.PNG

And I want extend this zvol. But when I try to extend I see error:
2.PNG

Why ?!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Because 1.4 [TB] / 1.7 [TB] = 0.82, or 82%. Note that 82% is a greater value than 80%, which is why you're getting a red warning message warning you not to exceed 80%.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is the warning there before you edit any options?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, what's the sequence of steps that causes the warning to show with values that would not result in more than 80% usage?

antikurjers

Cadet
So, what's the sequence of steps that causes the warning to show with values that would not result in more than 80% usage?

I retry FreeNas 11.2 server as VM (Hyper-V) with simmilar configuration.

The result is the same :(
Extend size work only with "Force size" checkbox used.
Why doesn't it like 1300 GB!?

Last edited: