Resilvering speeds with 10TB drives

ChrisReeve

Explorer
Hi

I am currently planning to upgrade my NAS to either 9 or 10 white label WD Reds (shucked from WD Easystore 10TB external drives). I am planning to run one large ZFS2 pool, resulting in around 65 TB usable space. While planning this, I am trying to figure out the probabilities for failure, but I have no clue what to expect with regards to resilver performance (MB/s).

So, with the following specs, what kind of speeds should I expect?

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRL-F
CPU: Xeon E5-2630L v2
RAM: Hynix 24GB (6x4GB sticks)
Drives: 10x10 white label WD Reds

Also, I might upgrade my RAM and CPU together with the drives, to a Xeon 2650 v2, and 64GB RAM (4x16GB sticks, with the possibility to expand to 128GB later). Will this significantly affect resilver performance?

Edit: If it matters, the vast majority of files on the pool, are largers files (video files) with sizes varying from 100MB to 60GB per file). I would also be able to stop using the server while resilvering, if this impacts performance to a significant degree.

Last edited:

rknaub

Explorer
I’m about to do the same, except I’ll be going from 10 4TB drives to 10x10. Currently using z1 and will probably go to z2. I’m thinking I will install the 10 drives, Find a way to temporarily power them all, then create a new pool, copy everything over, then delete the old pool and sell the 4TB drives or something.

nemisisak

Explorer
There is a huge amount of factors to take into account when resilvering a drive other than number of disks and disk size. This includes pool usesage, disk speed, disk quality, fragmentation, useuage during process, bad working disks etc.

I believe FreeBSD has also upgraded the resilvering algorithm not that long ago which should speed things up, though I havent had reason to test it yet. Therefore any number would be pure conjecture but around 30hours would not be surprising for an average.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Edit: If it matters
Everything matters. You need a ton of IOPS to get all the block pointers and a ton of sequential read bandwidth to read the data. It'll depend hugely on your specific workload - you mention large files, so that sounds to me like low-ish fragmentation, particularly if you're using large blocks.

On my systems, with a decent mix of large and small files, I see something like 2 TB/hour resilvers.