Replication to rsync.net not working

Hi,
I am trying to backup my datasets to rsync.net using builtin Replication Tasks feature.
For that I created an account with rsync.net with native zfs send capability https://www.rsync.net/products/zfsintro.html
The replication job is working for one dataset, but fails for the ix-applications datasets with different error messages:

- Timeout opening channel.
- Connection timed out during banner exchange
- Network connection timeout.

Is there something special with this dataset?

Thanks
Stefan

truecharts

Guru
Are you following the latest version of our backup and restore guide?

If not, that would be a start.
Configuration there has been proven to be compatbile with rsync.net (native zfs send) and is actually also used for our project backups as well.

Actually I just wanted to create recursive snapshots of the ix-applications dataset and send it to rsync.net.
That would be the same like I do with the other datasets...
Do I need to replicate the snapshots locally first? Is this something special with the ix-applications dataset?

truecharts

Guru
Actually I just wanted to create recursive snapshots of the ix-applications dataset and send it to rsync.net.
That would be the same like I do with the other datasets...
Do I need to replicate the snapshots locally first? Is this something special with the ix-applications dataset?

There is a LOT of special going on with the ix-applications dataset.
If you ever want to restore it, you NEED to use the above guide and the integrated iX backup and restore system.

It's not just a normal dataset and there are a lot of caveats, regarding special structure and special middleware interactions.

Actually it does not seem to be related to the ix-applications dataset, as all other datasets shows the same errors.
After successfully sending the first snapshot, all subsequent snapshots are failing...

[2022/02/04 15:50:47] INFO [Thread-3097] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_5] Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_7.9)
[2022/02/04 15:50:47] INFO [Thread-3097] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_5] Authentication (publickey) successful!
[2022/02/04 15:50:48] INFO [replication_task__task_5] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_5': doing push from 'pool1/scanner' to 'data1/scanner' of snapshot='auto-2022-02-01_22-00' incremental_base='auto-2022-02-01_18-00' include_intermediate=False receive_resume_token=None encryption=False
[2022/02/04 15:50:50] INFO [replication_task__task_5] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_5': doing push from 'pool1/scanner' to 'data1/scanner' of snapshot='auto-2022-02-02_00-00' incremental_base='auto-2022-02-01_22-00' include_intermediate=False receive_resume_token=None encryption=False
[2022/02/04 15:50:51] INFO [replication_task__task_5] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_5': doing push from 'pool1/scanner' to 'data1/scanner' of snapshot='auto-2022-02-03_00-00' incremental_base='auto-2022-02-02_00-00' include_intermediate=False receive_resume_token=None encryption=False
[2022/02/04 15:50:53] INFO [replication_task__task_5] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_5': doing push from 'pool1/scanner' to 'data1/scanner' of snapshot='auto-2022-02-04_00-00' incremental_base='auto-2022-02-03_00-00' include_intermediate=False receive_resume_token=None encryption=False
[2022/02/04 15:51:03] ERROR [replication_task__task_5] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_5' unhandled replication error ExecException(255, 'Connection timed out during banner exchange\nConnection to 82.197.184.99 port 22 timed out\n')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 163, in run_replication_tasks
retry_contains_partially_complete_state(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/partially_complete_state.py", line 16, in retry_contains_partially_complete_state
return func()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 164, in <lambda>
lambda: run_replication_task_part(replication_task, source_dataset, src_context, dst_context,
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 256, in run_replication_task_part
run_replication_steps(step_templates, observer)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 600, in run_replication_steps
replicate_snapshots(step_template, incremental_base, snapshots, include_intermediate, encryption, observer)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 641, in replicate_snapshots
run_replication_step(step, observer)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 721, in run_replication_step
ReplicationProcessRunner(process, monitor).run()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/process_runner.py", line 33, in run
raise self.process_exception
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/replication/process_runner.py", line 37, in _wait_process
self.replication_process.wait()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/transport/ssh.py", line 154, in wait
stdout = self.async_exec.wait()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/transport/async_exec_tee.py", line 103, in wait
raise ExecException(exit_event.returncode, self.output)
zettarepl.transport.interface.ExecException: Connection timed out during banner exchange
Connection to 82.197.184.99 port 22 timed out