Replication Tasks is not really working

Kienaba

Explorer
Hello, I just want to back up my data to an external hard drive, basically by cloning it completely. But somehow, it's not working. I'm facing the following problems:

1. Every time, it gives me an error or a warning because my target volume is encrypted, which can cause issues. So, I removed the encryption from the target volume and enabled encryption directly in the replication task. But then it told me that it can't double-encrypt encrypted datasets. I also removed encryption from the replication task. Now, if I run the replication task, will my datasets remain encrypted even if they're in use and decrypted at the moment? I don't want my data to be in an unencrypted state on the hard drive.

2. I managed to start the replication task without errors now. However, it finished after just one minute. This doesn't make sense because I have over 1TB of data that needs to be backed up. When I check the external hard drive, only 2GB has been used. So, it seems like it only created a snapshot. Why? I want everything to be backed up, not just a snapshot. Also, I don't understand why the replication task is so focused on snapshots. I thought snapshots were a completely separate option.

Maybe someone can clarify things for me... Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if I run the replication task, will my datasets remain encrypted even if they're in use and decrypted at the moment?
Replication is at block level from the disk... an unlocked dataset isn't decrypted on the disk, only the reads and writes are going through encryption/decryption.

What will appear on the other side is a block-level match of the source, so will be encrypted (with the same key).

Unless you put the key on the target side, it will not be unlocked.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't understand why the replication task is so focused on snapshots. I thought snapshots were a completely separate option.
If you're doing a block-level copy (replication), you can't have the contents of the blocks changing as you're in progress or the target won't be the same as the source.

Due to this requirement (a stable source), snapshots are used (since their content is frozen).

Kienaba

Explorer
Ok, I understand. So I need to create a snapshot first. But I get this error:

New alert:
  • Snapshot Task For Dataset "Pool/Nextcloud-Data" failed: cannot create snapshot 'Pool/Nextcloud-Data@auto-2023-08-09_13-00': out of space..
  • Replication "Pool,...,Pool/PiHole-qan33 - External/Replication" failed: Target dataset 'External/Replication' does not have snapshots but has data (e.g. 'ubuntu-22.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso') and replication from scratch is not allowed. Refusing to overwrite existing data..
I do not understand what "out of space" mean, because I have enough space for snapshots on every drive. And I do not understand the second error. I just created the External/Replication dataset. There should be no files on it. So I don't know what the "ubuntu-22.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso" file is. And why I can't replicate from scatch. :(

So complicated for me. I just want a task which duplicate my datasets to my external drive. o_O

Kienaba

Explorer
Here is my configuration.

Attachments

• 1691579574053.png
    1691579574053.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1691579604486.png
    1691579604486.png
    590.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1691579615602.png
    1691579615602.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1691579640034.png
    1691579640034.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 53

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Replication "Pool,...,Pool/PiHole-qan33 - External/Replication" failed: Target dataset 'External/Replication' does not have snapshots but has data (e.g. 'ubuntu-22.04.2-live-server-amd64.iso') and replication from scratch is not allowed. Refusing to overwrite existing data..
Looks like this is due to a replication cycle having completed (maybe failed), leaving content on the target side which is different to the source.

The replication system therefore can't mess with what looks like a modified target side for fear of overwriting valid new data.

Best is to clear it and start again (deleting snapshots on the target side back to the last good one might also be an option if there's too much to catch up with a start from scratch.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I do not understand what "out of space" mean,
Have a look at this one:

Kienaba

Explorer
I do not have the "Initialize remote side for once. (May cause data loss on remote side!):" checkbox. For snapshots there are not really much options. I also deleted all snapshots before I started a the new snapshot job. And this affect only the Pool/Nextcloud-Data dataset... and this is the most important one with around 1TB of data. I don't get it.

Edit: And I checked again, if I really have enough space. But I do, right?

Attachments

• 1691581607714.png
    1691581607714.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1691581629884.png
    1691581629884.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Kienaba

Explorer
Ok. I see I can only select for the Replication the target location (External disk). But for the Snapshot I only have few settings and I can't select the target location, where the snapshot should stored. So the default location will then be the same disc that I want to snapshot from. So the "Pool" volume. And on the pool volume I only have 600GB of free storage. But Nextcloud-Data ist over 1000GB. But normally the snapshot is only few GBs big. But the system still requires that I have at least the size of the disc to be backed up still free. Of course, this doesn't make much sense, since a snapshot is usually only a few GB in size.

Can this be? That would be extremely stupid, because then I could not back up my data, although it could theoretically work. A snapshot is only a few GB large anyway!!! Is there a solution for this? This is really quite stupid.. :(

sretalla