Replication task for some of the recursive snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammiejammie

Dabbler
Hi guys!

I've setup a volumes called FIRE and TANK.

For both volumes i've created a periodic snapshot task. Keep 2 weeks, every hour, recursive.

Now i want to replicate data to another FreeNAS system.
But when trying to create a replication task, i only can select the entire FIRE or TANK.

I do not want to replicate the entire volume, but only a couple of the "sub" snapshots created by using the recursive option in the snapshot task.

This should be possible right ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The GUI doesn't support this, unfortunately. I had a feature request for it, but it was supposed to be in 10/Corral - and we all now what happened there. So I'll file that again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

nojohnny101

Wizard
Replication tasks can only be set on dataset basis.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Replication tasks can only be set on dataset basis.
Yes, obviously, but datasets that get snapshots because a parent of theirs is being snapshotted can't have a replication task.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yes, obviously, but datasets that get snapshots because a parent of theirs is being snapshotted can't have a replication task.
True. This was implied in my statement but maybe not entirely clear.

I made the mistake on my first box to just snapshot the top level and make it recursive but then realized I needed more granular control over the child datasets. Learned that lesson quick once things started getting out of control.

Last edited:

jammiejammie

Dabbler
The GUI doesn't support this, unfortunately. I had a feature request for it, but it was supposed to be in 10/Corral - and we all now what happened there. So I'll file that again.
Is there a "non GUI" way to do this ?

I like the setup, snapshots to all my datasets even the ones that aren't that important. Even if there is a new dataset created, it is already included in the snapshot cycle.
I just don't want all the datasets to be replicated.

Also, this would require me to set individual snapshot schedules for all the datasets.
I could setup another snapshot task for just the ones i want to replicate, but this would result in "double" snapshots.
I've read on the forum somewhere that this could result in unstable replication behavior.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there a "non GUI" way to do this ?
You'd have to use an alternate snapshot replication manager, which will probably not be doable on FreeNAS.

jammiejammie

Dabbler
What would happen if i would leave the snapshots as they are on the main dataset,
and add another snapshot task to the datasets i want to replicate?

or even the next level...

What would happen if i set up multiple snapshot tasks of the same dataset ?
1 for 1 each week, keep for 4 months
1 for each day keep 2 weeks
1 for each 15 min keep 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.