Replication, more granularity in checking progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufalien

Patron
Hi,

Is there any way to check weather replication is really working other than from within the View Replication field?

Something like a log file or somewhere I can actually view whats been replicated so far?

I've had an odd issue in replicating a 9.2.1.7 system to a 9.2.1.8 were the replication task appeared finished after about a week but there was nothing on the target or pull system. Network traffic was heavy during replication and the disks were working but nothing showed on pull.

So I've initiated another replication and all seems well once again. I'd just like to verify that data is showing on the pull side. I realize that its block level function and so I cannot actually view files but would like to know something is at least coming over.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can get a list of snapshots by the command "zfs list -t snapshot". If they are listed on the remote machine then they are there. ;)

aufalien

Patron
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm curious, say I have a fresh 50TB to replicate which will take about 6 days or so. And I've got a daily snapshot happening with a lifetime of 1 week. I've noticed that the snapshot being replicated won't expire/delete until it's been replicated which is a good thing. How will subsequent replication tasks be handled? I assume they will simply add to what data is already there and no re initialize the target?

Attached is a screen shot of my replication setup. I'm assuming that "Initialize remote side for once..." simply means that, during the initial replication and any subsequent reps will add/remove according to the source.

Attachments

• replication.png
    replication.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 222

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm curious, say I have a fresh 50TB to replicate which will take about 6 days or so. And I've got a daily snapshot happening with a lifetime of 1 week. I've noticed that the snapshot being replicated won't expire/delete until it's been replicated which is a good thing. How will subsequent replication tasks be handled? I assume they will simply add to what data is already there and no re initialize the target?

Attached is a screen shot of my replication setup. I'm assuming that "Initialize remote side for once..." simply means that, during the initial replication and any subsequent reps will add/remove according to the source.

Correct. The source shouldn't remove any snapshots (even if they should expire) until they have replicated. If you don't have a replication task then they'll simply be deleted when they expire.

The Initialize remote side for once basically wipes out anything and everything that might be at the destination. Ideally you do this on intial replication and then never again. But if somehow the source and destination don't share at least one snapshot in common (which is required for replication normally) then the replication will fail. Then you have to resend the entire pool which would require an initialization of the remote side again.

Status
Not open for further replies.