Replication failure but appears successful on destination freenas - How to fix critical failure warning?

waves

Cadet
I'm running freenas 11.3-U3.2. I setup a dedicated replication user following these instructions: https://www.ixsystems.com/documenta...freenas-to-freenas-dedicated-user-replication
They are from a bit of an older version of freenas but the newer versions didn't have a tutorial for creating a dedicated replication user. The issue I am having is that the replication appears to have completed and I can see the dataset on the destination nas (freenas-beta) but I got an email critial failure warning. I pasted it in the code box at the very bottom. It warns that the replication failed.

I granted Repulser user on the freenas-beta the following permissions:
Code:
zfs allow -ldu Repluser create,destroy,diff,mount,readonly,receive,release,send,userprop, Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main

zfs set readonly=on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main

The one error I realized was that the dataset on freenas-alpha is called Media-Storage while the dataset I am copying to on freenas-beta is called alpha-freenas-main. The guide said to make the the same name. Is that the issue?

It looks to me like there is a permission problem with the Repulser user I made. I did not grant the permissions it is complaining are missing because the guide didn't mention them. Also some of the items it complains about are properties and I granted userprop which I thought gave access to all properties. Do I need to modify the permission command to this?

Code:
zfs allow -ldu Repluser create,destroy,diff,mount,readonly,receive,release,send,userprop,reservation,refquota,quota,refreservation,aclmode,mount Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main

zfs set readonly=on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main

I did create a tunable like the guide explained to do on freenas-beta vfs.usermount set to 1 and using sysctrl. I thought that was supposed to make it mountable so I'm unsure why it is saying it can't mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
Error
full send of pool_1/Media-Storage@custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13 estimated size is 1.09T
full send of pool_1/Media-Storage@custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13 estimated size is 1.09T
cannot receive reservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive refquota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive quota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive refreservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive aclmode property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive copies property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot mount 'Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main': Insufficient privileges.
Logs
[2020/06/16 15:13:40] INFO     [Thread-4] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_2] Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_8.0-hpn14v15)
[2020/06/16 15:13:40] INFO     [Thread-4] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_2] Authentication (publickey) successful!
[2020/06/16 15:13:41] INFO     [replication_task__task_2] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_2.sftp] [chan 5] Opened sftp connection (server version 3)
[2020/06/16 15:13:41] INFO     [replication_task__task_2] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_2': doing push from 'pool_1/Media-Storage' to 'Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main' of snapshot='custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13' incremental_base=None receive_resume_token=None
[2020/06/16 18:10:50] ERROR    [replication_task__task_2] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_2' unhandled replication error ExecException(1, "full send of pool_1/Media-Storage@custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13 estimated size is 1.09T\nfull send of pool_1/Media-Storage@custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13 estimated size is 1.09T\ncannot receive reservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot receive refquota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot receive quota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot receive refreservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot receive aclmode property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot receive copies property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied\ncannot mount 'Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main': Insufficient privileges\n")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 143, in run_replication_tasks
    run_replication_task_part(replication_task, source_dataset, src_context, dst_context, observer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/replication/run.py", line 204, in run_replication_task_part
    run_replication_steps(step_templates, observer)
... 13 more lines ...
    raise ExecException(exit_event.returncode, self.output)
zettarepl.transport.interface.ExecException: full send of pool_1/Media-Storage@custom_snap-2020-06-16_15-13 estimated size is 1.09T
cannot receive reservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive refquota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive quota property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive refreservation property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive aclmode property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot receive copies property on Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main: permission denied
cannot mount 'Beta_Pool_1/alpha-freenas-main': Insufficient privileges

Last edited:

waves

Cadet
Is this not an error others have encountered? Is there any harm in granting the dedicated user the permissions that the error message says were denied?
  • reservation
  • refquota
  • quota
  • refreservation
  • aclmode
  • copies
  • mount