replication, clones, and snapshot chains?

nktech1135

Dabbler
Hi all.
I'm not sure if this is a question that belongs on the truenas scale forum or if it's more of a general question that only relates to zfs. If it belongs on the scale forum i can either repost or the mods can move it.
I'm looking for general advice on my setup, is it a good idea the way i'm doing it? or am i missing something? or just in general any tips people have for me.
- What we're doing.
We are trying to do zpool backup to a truenas scale appliance. For security reasons i'm having truenas reach out and pull the data off the servers via a replication task. Because truenas doesn't support snapshot tasks on remote systems i'm using zfs-autobackup to manage snapshots on the individual servers, and then having the replication task pull those snapshots from the servers.
I have all this working so far but now have the following questions. Yesterday i was experimenting with my restore procedure which involves cloning the snapshot, mounting the clone, and getting the files i need.
I can clone and mount it, but once i have the data i can't delete it. I get the following error.
Code:
Error Deleting zvol data1/107-disk-0-backup-20210328200001-clone
[EFAULT] Failed to delete dataset: cannot destroy 'data1/107-disk-0-backup-20210328200001-clone': volume has dependent clones use '-R' to destroy the following datasets: data1/cdpve/dpool/vm-107-disk-0@sm01-20210330000000 data1/cdpve/dpool/vm-107-disk-0        

Why is this? I'm trying to delete the clone, not it's parent. And yes, i did unmount the dataset again.
In addition, my replication task gave the following error overnight.
Code:
[2021/03/30 00:00:01] ERROR    [replication_task__task_7] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_7' non-recoverable replication error NoIncrementalBaseReplicationError("No incremental base on dataset 'dpool/vm-107-disk-0' and replication from scratch is not allowed")

Again, why is this? I didn't touch the dataset other than cloning vm-107-disk-0.
Am i not understanding something obvious here? or is this a scale specific bug? or is it something else.
Also, if someone has a workflow to achieve the same as i listed above that's cleaner i'd love to here it.
Thanks.

nktech1135

Dabbler
Well, mistakes made out of ignorance are still mistakes. The issue was fixed. We had clicked the promote button for this dataset, not knowing what it did. Promoting the correct dataset allowed me to delete the snapshot.
Still working on the replication issue.