SOLVED Replicating snapshots from one Periodic Snapshot Task to two different FreeNAS servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cainram

Dabbler
I have a periodic snapshot task that is replicating to another server. The data to be replicated is on 'shipdocs', the PUSH machine. I have been replicating successfully to my backup server, 'tyrellcorp' (PULL) for some time now. I have created another ZFS Replication task and have pointed it at a second PULL machine, 'searchspace'. I'm not getting any replication to searchspace. Here is some version info:

PUSH (shipdocs) - FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
PULL #1 Working (tyrellcorp) - FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4 (ec9a7d3)
PULL #2 Not working (searchspace) - FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64 (fdbe9a0)

The hardware on all three machines is more that enough to handle the amount of storage. I diligently followed the guidelines and requisitioned the appropriate type/amount of RAM, etc.

The amount of data is 31GB. There is a gigabit switch between the two machines and both have gigabit NICs. I'm not seeing much activity on either machine to indicate an initial transfer. And on the PUSH machine both the 'Status' and 'Last snapshot sent to remote side' are empty.

When I run ssh -vv -i /data/ssh/replication <searchspace domain name> I am not asked for a password. I don't get a command prompt but this:
Code:
Welcome to searchspace.xxxxxxx located on the searchspace server.			
debug2: tcpwinsz: 66608 for connection: 4									  
[root@searchspace] ~# debug2: tcpwinsz: 66608 for connection: 4				

[root@searchspace] ~# debug2: tcpwinsz: 66608 for connection: 4				
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype keepalive@openssh.com reply 1

When I try to ssh in with a command like this: ssh root@<searchspace domain name> I am prompted for a password.

Logs on searchspace (/var/log/auth.log) shows 'Accepted publickey for root from <searchspace>.

Any ideas?

The only thing that is different from anything else I have been successful with is the fact that I'm trying to create two different ZFS replication tasks from the same Periodic snapshot task. Has anyone tried this or had trouble with it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Target machine #2 is running a very old FreeNAS 9.2, which will have an older version of SSH. Certainly things have changed, including the deprecation of DSA keys. Can that machine be upgraded?

Cainram

Dabbler
Update: Thanks for the replies. I decided that I'd rather use rsync for this task. After I thought about it a while I started getting concerned that using a replicated snapshot as a working directory for another server may cause replication issues. I don't know if the software creates temp files, etc.
I got rsync all set up, no problem. Even going over SSH with key auth. However, when I got in this morning, the machine was offline with a boot media failure. So now, a couple hours later, the machine now has dual 16gb USB boot drives and FreeNAS 9.10.2-U3. I pulled the config before but not after setting up rsync so I'll get some more practice with that.

That said, I'm not sure version differences were the culprit because replication from 9.2.x to 9.10.x was working fine; the issue was between two 9.2.x machines. Anyway, it's not an issue anymore and I'm moving on.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.