Replicate a single dataset (part of a pool which is already replicated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Experimenting with this third computer of mine. I have a full FreeNAS box, replicating daily to a backup box. Trying to setup a third computer (it was just lying around) to act as a critical data third line backup, replicating specific datasets only.

For the past few days, I've been re-creating my main pool, split into several datasets to give me the option to do just that. But lo and behold - when I tried to create a replication task for the specific dataset, I got a message saying that I couldn't do that, since the dataset was already part of a (higher-level) dataset that was itself replicated!

Did I miss something? Any way around that...?

Cheers!

D

dlavigne

It sounds like you are already replicating the volume (or a dataset) with the recursive option checked which also grabs all of its child datasets.

SilverJS

Patron
Indeed. I tried rsync, but have since abandoned the idea of a second backup - I might try pfSense, but we'll see how adventurous I feel. :)

BTW, I was watching one of ixsystems' videos on YouTube, and one of them was yourself doing a presentation, in which you introduced yourself as, amongst other things, the person who wrote the documentation? Is this correct? If so, props to you, ma'am - I've said it before, but the latest docs for freenas are a thing of beauty.

Week done!

Status
Not open for further replies.