SOLVED Replacing HDD with same HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie86

Explorer
Hi,

Today I accidentally unplug sata cabel from one of my 5 3TB (RAIDZ1) drives while server was working. Now I am getting alert CRITICAL: Nov. 30, 2017, 3:20 p.m. - The volume server state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected. Status in Volumes DEGRADED. How can I resilver drive? When I select replace, there is no option to replace it with same drive. Do I need to wipe it first? I also try that but, in that case I am getting alert to unmount volume first. I did not do it because I am not sure if this is good idea.

Thank you

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did you try rebooting the server? Some SATA controllers will not recognize that the drive has been plugged in until the power is cycled.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you are absolutely certain which drive was unplugged, you can offline that drive. Then you will be able to replace the drive with itself.
In the web GUI, you will click on the 'Storage' link from the left side menu. That should bring up a page looking something like this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?attachments/upload_2017-10-28_16-13-23-png.21290/
Click on the uppermost entry for your pool, then at the bottom of that page, toward the middle, you will see a row of buttons. If you hover over the far right one, it will give you a tool tip telling you it is the 'volume status button'. Click that and it will bring up a page that looks something like this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?attachments/upload_2017-10-28_16-15-31-png.21292/
On that page, you will see a list of all the drives in your pool. If you click the offending drive, options will be made available at the bottom of the window, one of which will be to 'offline' the drive.
Once the drive is oflined, the entry where the drive was listed will be changed to a long string of numbers. You will need to click on that and the options at the bottom of the screen will change again where one of them should be 'replace'. Click that and a menu should open allowing you to select the drive that was just offlined. Should look like this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?attachments/upload_2017-10-28_16-20-49-png.21293/
There will be a warning that the drive is not clear. You have to check a box to tell the system to proceed anyway and the resilver process should begin.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?attachments/upload_2017-10-28_16-22-23-png.21294/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Be sure, because using RAID-z1, if you offline the wrong disk, it will destroy the pool.

Charlie86

Explorer
Hi,
Thank you for yours help. What did I miss, that I can not select offline the degraded hdd. I am sure it is ada3, but offline bottom is missing when I select ada3. On all other drives I can select offline, but of course I did not do it because they are working just fine.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 21.56.52.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is not in the correct place. I may have missed a step in the description. Down that list on the left where it says 'View Volumes', click that.
Storage
> Volumes
> > View Volumes
Inside there is where the steps I gave you should start.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It should look like this.
I think you will need to shutdown the NAS and clear the drive on another system, then put it back in and boot the NAS. At that point, it should let you replace the drive.
offline.PNG

Charlie86

Explorer
Thank you, I cleared drive in other system and attached it back in freenas. Resilver is in progress. Thank you one more time ;)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you, I cleared drive in other system and attached it back in freenas. Resilver is in progress. Thank you one more time ;)
I am happy I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.