Replacing Hardware Keeping Existing ZPOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

Sorry if my terminology is wrong but here goes?

When I first started out with my Home NAS project I opted for some low end redundant hardware that I had lying around (I collect old PC's its an obsession!!!).

Anyway my existing rig was based on the only Mobo that I had that had more than 2 x SATA connectors. Its was pulled from an Acer Aspire M3610-ZE7Z and is fitted with (I think) a Pentium Dual Core E2140?
It still has only 2GB RAM which I know is much to little but (apart from RAM) it handles my needs OK. It is fitted with 3 x 1TB SATA HDDs.

I have just upgrade my main PC and now have an ABit AN-M2HD available which also offers 4 x SATA and possibly a slightly faster CPU, its an AMD 64x2 4000.

Questions:

1. Would I benefit from changing to this Motherboard or should I stick with what I have until get serious and by some low end server products?
2. If I change the Mobo how do I keep my existing FreeNAS ZPOOL Setup?
3. Is there a thread on a budget / safe server build?

Once again sorry if my terminology is incorrect.

gpsguy

I'll start with question #2, since it's applicable to whatever you do.

a) Do a fresh install of the OS, either 8.3.2 or 9.1.1, to a new 4-8Gb flash drive
b) Import existing volume
c) Restore your old configuration
d) Run a scrub

Regarding #1 - at the end of the day, FN with ZFS requires a minimum of 8Gb of RAM. Even if you were able to upgrade the ABit AN-M2HD to 8Gb (costly for an old mobo), it would limit your ability to expand in the future. I'd hold off, until you can afford modern hardware.

Regarding #3, search the forum for a number of threads about budget hardware.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
I'll start with question #2, since it's applicable to whatever you do.

a) Do a fresh install of the OS, either 8.3.2 or 9.1.1, to a new 4-8Gb flash drive
c) Restore your old configuration
d) Run a scrub

OK just so I follow, looking at the above may I make the assumption that the ZPOOL configuration is held on the storage disks not on the USB Boot Disk.

So I download and install FreeNAS 8.3.2 or 9.1.1 onto a different USB Flash Drive, the insert it into my FreeNAS server (with the new Hardware but the same disks, that bit I sort of get.
What I don't quite follow is:
a. The Import Volume option is in the NAS GUI, will it simply look at the existing HDDs and configure itself using my existing ZPOOL?
b. How do I restore my old configuration?

Thanks

SmallGuy

Guru
1) Save your configuration thru the Freenas GUI settings tab
Then
c) Restore your old configuration (Freenas GUI settings tab)
d) Run a scrub

paleoN

Wizard
c) Restore your old configuration (Freenas GUI settings tab)
If you do c then you don't need to do b.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
So the "configuration" is kind of abstract and doesn't care which channel each drive is on?
I was wondering about Import, too: if I connect 3 drives to random free connectors, does it figure out for itself that they are a RAID-Z and which is which?

TheSmoker

Patron
So the "configuration" is kind of abstract and doesn't care which channel each drive is on?
I was wondering about Import, too: if I connect 3 drives to random free connectors, does it figure out for itself that they are a RAID-Z and which is which?

Afaik it does not care. It will take the drive ids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dusan

Guru
Every drive contains a vdev label that describes the pool configuration and lists all the other vdevs in the pool. zpool import scans all connected drives, reads the vdev label and figures out the pool configuration even if you move the disks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.