Replacing Drives to Grow a ZFS Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowe

Cadet
Hello i have a Pool with 4x 2tb drives i have change 2 of the 2tb for others with 3tb. I have scrub the pool afther this but i cant see the extra space.

I have folow the http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html guide.

To verify the autoexpand property, run this command from Shell, replacing Vol1 with the name of the volume to expand:

Status on

Next, export and then import the pool:

If you cannot see the extra space, you may need to run zpool online -e pool_name device_name for every device listed in zpool status.

I have do all the steps of the guide but the extra space dont apear.

Thanks for the help.

toadman

Guru
What vdev configuration is the pool? All of the drives in a vdev need to be replaced with larger drives to get the extra space. So depending on the config, you may have to replace the remaining two 2TB drives with 3TB (or larger), then thepool will expand.

The only config where you would expect space gains with 4 drives and two of them replaced would be a pool consisting of two 2-drive mirrors where you replaced both drives in one of the mirrors. If that is not your config, it won't expand as it's limited by the smallest drive in the vdev.

Nowe

Cadet
It is in zfs1.

Ok the problem is i have only replace 2 of 4 drives i think it was similar to synology shr wen you can change the drives and adding 2 whit more space you get the extra space.

Thanks

It is in zfs1.

Ok the problem is i have only replace 2 of 4 drives i think it was similar to synology shr wen you can change the drives and adding 2 whit more space you get the extra space.

Thanks
Yea no, gotta change out all drives in said RAIDzX for it to expand. So if you have 4 drives, gotta change out all 4, if you have 7 drives..gotta change out all 7 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.