Replacement for PERC H730p

dashoe

Dabbler
I'm working on a Dell R730xd with a PERC H730p (embedded?) raid controller in HBA mode. The controller is driving a 24 bay array on 2.5" drives pluse the two extra bays on the rear of the machine. As expected from the discussion in this forum, the unit works but performance is poor.

Am I correct that this controller can't not be flashed?

Looks like most post here suggest the HBA330 as a replacement, is that also correct? If so, the H730 card is not in a typical PCI slot but is attached to the motherboard in a way that I'm not familiar with. Also, the cabling on the PCI HBA330 cards I've looked up does not appear to be compatible with the existing cabling attached to the H730. I'm looking for some guidance on getting a proper HBA card working on this server.

Thanks very much!

PERC H730p.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Am I correct that this controller can't not be flashed?
Correct.
Looks like most post here suggest the HBA330 as a replacement, is that also correct? If so, the H730 card is not in a typical PCI slot but is attached to the motherboard in a way that I'm not familiar with
That's what the HBA330 Mini is for. Drop-in replacement.

dashoe

Dabbler
That's great news,

I wasn't familiar with that 'Mini' form factor. I got my courage up and removed the existing H730, piece of cake! Looks like the HBA330s are very affordable online so I'll get one ordered up.

Thanks very much

dashoe

Dabbler
Another question. We have an 2nd R730xd still in production. Do you happen to know when I replace the H730 with the HBA330 will I have to reconfigure the pools or will the HBA330 recognize them as they are?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're using them in HBA mode (i.e. The disks show up as direct-attach devices), then everything should just work.

dashoe

Dabbler
Correct.

That's what the HBA330 Mini is for. Drop-in replacement.
My HBA330 controllers arrived. The first one came up without a hitch. I was suprised though that the config UI seems very similar to the H730; both controllers offer Raid or Non-Raid modes. Somehow I was under the impression that the HBA330 was a 'true' HBA controller that didn't offer RAID features. I want make sure I've got the correct unit, The config UI show PERC H330 mini rather than HBA330, does that matter? The H330 does not have the onboard battery like the H730 did so I guess that means something.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The config UI show PERC H330 mini rather than HBA330, does that matter?
The H330 uses mostly the same hardware, but does support RAID. It is, however, configured in a brain-dead, performance-destroying way. It's not uncommon for vendors to get them confused...
You can crossflash it to an HBA330, but perhaps it's best to get the vendor to replace it with the correct part.

dashoe

Dabbler
The H330 uses mostly the same hardware, but does support RAID. It is, however, configured in a brain-dead, performance-destroying way. It's not uncommon for vendors to get them confused...
You can crossflash it to an HBA330, but perhaps it's best to get the vendor to replace it with the correct part.
Jeez, It's a jungle out here! lspci shows LSI MegaRAID SAS-3 3008. I've seen in other post that MegaRaid is not right either? I'll be sending them back and trying again.

Thanks so much, I don't know how any of us 'new comers' would ever get through this without you guys on this forum.