Replacement Drive Raid 1 Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBMarsh

Cadet
I have a 3 disk RAID 1 setup, with 2TB drives. One died and FreeNAS would not allow me to do anything. I bought another exact model drive, plugged it in ad it now works. However, it keeps saying it is in a DEGRADED state.

Now, as n00b, I know I should be posting stuff to let you guys help in the best way possible, but I am not sure what to post. Please be gentle and tell me what to put up and it will be done. I am not totally new to Linux and used to the command line, but not an expert.

Stephens

Patron
Go to the console and type "zpool status"... if it's still resilvering, it's going to be DEGRADED until it finishes because you have no redundancy. This is one reason why many of us use RAID-Z2. If you were to lose another drive before resilvering finishes (and it can take a long time), you'd lose all your data on the pool. If you haven't already, read cyberjock's guide (linked to in his signature).

ChrisBMarsh

Cadet
Go to the console and type "zpool status"... if it's still resilvering, it's going to be DEGRADED until it finishes because you have no redundancy. This is one reason why many of us use RAID-Z2. If you were to lose another drive before resilvering finishes (and it can take a long time), you'd lose all your data on the pool. If you haven't already, read cyberjock's guide (linked to in his signature).

Can resilvering take a week to do on a 2TB drive that's around half full?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's no way to know. There are so many factors that can affect the performance only you will be able to figure it out based on your historical performance.

ChrisBMarsh

Cadet
So, my 'zpool status' shows this:
pool: Main
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for
the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h20m with 0 errors on Sat Mar 2 14:36:09 2013
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Main DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
14678881652300091770 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 was /dev/gptid/5ad
d68be-f348-11e1-93fe-90f652029783
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

It's been like this since last Monday when I put the new drive in. Is this still ok? Performance does not seem to be suffering.

ChrisBMarsh

Cadet
Oh, and Cyberjock's Powerpoint is excellent, but I'll need to keep reading it over to get the ideas in my head. One question, as I have RAIDz1-0, is it easy to 'upgrade to a RAIDZ2?

Caesar

Contributor
I think you need to issue a zpool replace command. check the manual for details. You will need the name of your old device and the new one. Your old one is /gptd/5add68be-f348-11e1-93fe-90f652029783

ProtoSD

MVP
Oh, and Cyberjock's Powerpoint is excellent, but I'll need to keep reading it over to get the ideas in my head. One question, as I have RAIDz1-0, is it easy to 'upgrade to a RAIDZ2?

No, you cannot convert from one type of RAID to another, you must backup, destroy, and re-create your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.