BUILD Replacement Build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

upcboy

Cadet
I have an HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 that has started to die (The volume DSet01 state is UNAVAIL: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.) after 2 or 3 reboots of the machine my dataset comes back on line and works for a few days. So its Time for an upgrade.

I'd like to spend under 500$ on a Motherboard/CPU/Ram
I'm currently running 2x6tb and 2x4tb drives but i'd like what ever i buy to be able to expand up to at least 8 drives. All my Virtualization is done on another machine so this is strictly for storage.

What is the best/cheapest route for me to go to achieve this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The cheapest way to go is on this thread. Buy the HP ML10 Gen 9, add some RAM (maybe your current RAM will work), buy a new case and a SATA add-on card (of your choice) and transfer the guts of that new ML10 Gen 9 into the new case. This could easily be under a $500 price tag. I know of no other way to get the proper hardware for less.

Your current system sounds like the drives are about to die.

upcboy

Cadet
The ML10 Gen 9 was actually my thought it should be enough to get me running and give me an upgrade route in the future. But I'm. Open to other options out there.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The author of the linked thread did a great job and took the project further than expected. He could have done it much cheaper but hey, he jumped in with both feet and came out on the other side happy.

I don't know if you can transplant the Gen 8 you have but if you can put it into another case and then replace the hard drives with new ones, that would be cheaper for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.