Replaced boot pool with 2 new drives, won't boot without old drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
So I originally installed FreeNAS on a single USB. A few weeks back I received an email stating that the USB had a 1 checksum error.
I ordered 2 new 32GB USBs to create a boot pool from and replace the drive with the checksum error.

I plugged in the first drive, attached the USB and let it do its thing expanding the bootpool. It finished fine so I then took out the failing USB and put in the second new drive. Selected replace on the old USB and let it do its thing once more. All went well.

Come to reboot my server with the original (failing) USB drive unplugged and it won't boot. It gets stuck at the blinking cursor pre grub.
If however I do plug the original USB back in the pool boots fine. In the boot pool the original USB drive does not show up!

Next issue is after applying some FreeNAS 11 updates, upon every reboot and clicking the check for new updates box, I get the following message:

Update: FreeNAS-11.0-U1 has already been applied. Please reboot the system to activate this update.

I have rebooted multiple times but its still there. Have i screwed my install?
Why will it only boot with the old drive in?!

If I do a fresh install (last resort option) how do i move over my Jails?

Stux

MVP
When you had a checksum error on your boot pool with no redundancy you were already lost.

Boot, download the config. Reinstall (with erase) and upload the config.

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
Is there anyway to backup the Jails? Or do I need to rebuild these once it has reinstalled?

Is the Reinstall with Erase an option in the admin panel?

What about data? Will i loose the data on the array?

IceBoosteR

Guru
Is there anyway to backup the Jails? Or do I need to rebuild these once it has reinstalled?

Is the Reinstall with Erase an option in the admin panel?

What about data? Will i loose the data on the array?
Hi,
no you do not loose data. The data is in the zfs pool, which can be also attched to any ohter server.
Only something like users, shares and settings which get lost. Also the jails, which should be located in the pool are not lost, only the setting.
I am not sure, but if you can't import the jails - just create new one with the same settings and replace all files from the "old" jail in the new. But I haven't tried it myself, was just a thought. If you are able to have a backup of the config (the database) then you can import this after a fresh install and everything is like it was before.

Cheers
IceBoosteR

Status
Not open for further replies.