Renamed volume (pool) not attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green750one

Dabbler
Hi,

Newbie to FreeNAS and have a problem following export/import to rename a volume.

So I followed the directions here and all went well until I got to the bit where it says...
Keep in mind that afterwards, at least I had to do it, to detach the volumes (zpools) from the system (DON'T CHECK THE OPTION TO ERASE DATA).
Reboot.
Auto-import volumes (zpools).

So detaching the volumes was OK
Reboot was OK
But I'm using 9.3 and there's no auto-import function.
When I try to use the "Import Volume" there are no volumes in the dropdown.
The freenas documentatioon says to drop into shell and use the zpool import function.
This doesn't work as the pool has already been imported.

It's doing my head in but I can't see any way to re-attach the pool.
I can't use the zpool reattach as I don't have a new device.

I'm sure it's something stupidly easy but I can't see it for the life of me.
Worse comes to worse and I shall SSH onto NAS and move all my data to my PC and start again, but that seems a bit extreme - I'm sure there must be something simple I've missed.

Many Thanks in advance,
Philip

Pool is all healthy as far as I can see
upload_2015-3-17_16-25-59.png

upload_2015-3-17_16-20-58.png

System is as follows:
upload_2015-3-17_16-28-53.png

upload_2015-3-17_16-29-46.png

zambanini

Patron
you can be killed for using the cli for this kind of things in this forum.

FN is an appliance, no cli shell and no FreeBSD webinterface.

you might open a bug report

Green750one

Dabbler
Yep, but renaming a pool has got to be pretty commonplace and there's no way (that I could find) to do it in the gui. Plus if cli is frowned on, why include an option for it in the gui?
Was hoping someone might just tell me I need to do xyz to recover, before I go raising a bug.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Actually, no, renaming a pool isn't all that commonplace. But that aside, the pool is imported in the system. Does it not show as available under the Storage screen? If it doesn't, from the cli, do 'zpool export Main' and then try to import volume again from the GUI.

The instructions you linked to aren't really optimal. The process would go like this:
  • From the GUI, export/detach the pool. Of course, don't check the "mark disks as new" box.
  • From the CLI, 'zpool import oldpool newpool'
  • From the CLI, 'zpool export newpool'
  • From the GUI, Import Volume. It should pick up the pool with its new name.

Green750one

Dabbler
Thank you very much - just what I was looking for - worked perfectly.
Guess I now have to re-install plugins, jails and shares etc again?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You'll at least need to reconfigure the jails and shares to point to the new path. I wouldn't expect you'd need to reinstall though.

moosekaka

Dabbler
Thank you to danb35, your instructions were perfect and succesfully renamed my pool (9.2.1.9)

Mr_N

Patron
Yep, but renaming a pool has got to be pretty commonplace and there's no way (that I could find) to do it in the gui. Plus if cli is frowned on, why include an option for it in the gui?
Was hoping someone might just tell me I need to do xyz to recover, before I go raising a bug.

Thanks

Dont really see many people needing to rename their pool, unless you went out of your way to pick something silly in the first place :)

xternal

Cadet
Sorry to revive this thread. I just wanted to add thanks and say renaming can be really helpful when doing an in place upgrade of disks in zpool. I only have 4 bays in my FreeNas box.
I can Zfs send/receive from the old pool to the new pool (different name to old pool) with larger disks. Once it's done simply detach all and import with the new pool with the same name as the old pool.

Everything then works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.