Remove Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

timie_milie

Cadet
How do I remove encryption from a volume?
I tried backing up the keys and detached and re importing the volume on the same server, but it didn't work.
N.B. I (had to) select decrypt during import which I thought would remove the decryption, but I guess this really just enables runtime decryption for import / mount?
I still have to unlock the volume on each boot.

m0nkey_

MVP
Encryption is a one way thing. If you wish to remove encryption, you must first backup your data and recreate the pool without encryption.

timie_milie

Cadet
Thank you, I did not know that (obviously).
I don't remember seeing that in the documentation and can't see it on a re-inspection - how do I raise a documentation bug / issue (or point me to the info I missed)?

Stux

MVP
You can remove encryption by offlining a drive. Wiping the drive, then replacing the drive with the now erased drive. Repeat for each drive.

Might need to be done in the CLI.

I have not done this, but it is documented on the forum.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can remove encryption by offlining a drive. Wiping the drive, then replacing the drive with the now erased drive. Repeat for each drive.

Might need to be done in the CLI.

I have not done this, but it is documented on the forum.
Yep there is a thread that talks about it.

It's also common knowledge that you can't unencrypted something once it encrypted. That is the whole point of encryption. The rebuilding drives thing is a trick that only zfs can do.

Arwen

MVP
Using external encryption does have it's advantages.

The native OpenZFS encryption coming to an OS near you, would not allow this. It would require copying the data to an un-encrypted dataset. (Temporarily requiring extra space...) Unless you encrypted the top level dataset, which would from pratical sake, be an encrypted pool. Thus, backup, destroy pool, re-create pool, and restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.