remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fillmore

Dabbler
I setup freenas for a windows system. all works great on the local network and if I use FTP client.

The only service are CIFS, FTP AND S.M.A.R.T.. I have port forwarding setup for the FTP.

However if with the remote computer, if I enter the internet ip address, I have full access with out a user name or password. from the internet or wireless I want to have to enter a user name and password.

So what did I do wrong?

Thanks

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir:

Go to SERVICES, then click on the properties for "FTP". You'll see a choice called "allow anonymous access". *UNCHECK THAT*, that's what's allowing everyone to access it.

You probably want to allow root access with password.

Fillmore

Dabbler
it was uncheck, not the problem, FTP using FTP client is working great,
I turn off the FTP service and I still have access (anonymous) to all my files using windows explorer.

I'm thinking I did something when I setup the CIFS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
it was uncheck, not the problem, FTP using FTP client is working great,
I turn off the FTP service and I still have access (anonymous) to all my files using windows explorer.

I'm thinking I did something when I setup the CIFS.
Did you allow guest access?

Fillmore

Dabbler
That's was the problem, I though the guest access was the local wire network. I did not realize it was for the internet and wireless network.

So I setup a general user name and password.

Things are good now.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wireless has nothing at all to do with network permissions. Likewise, if you allow access from outside your network, there are no separate permissions.

If it's accessible, the permissions used are always the same.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Just for the record, it was not at all clear what the heck you were talking about, sir, in your original post. I thought you were talking about FTP.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just a friendly FYI. FTP transmits your credentials in the clear. If you're concerned about people on the wire getting your credentials you might want to consider another way of sharing files.

To get around this limitation, I typically will set up a jail to host files via SFTP and port-forward to the jail. SSH is encrypted and you can use key-based authentication. Filezilla supports SFTP and so users don't even realize they aren't using FTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.