Relocated server, can't connect now

Status
Not open for further replies.

theman1

Dabbler
I recently moved. I am using the same router, but only my motherboard ipmi shows up as wired connections. I cannot access the IP the FreeNAS shell is telling me to try.

http://imgur.com/SqbmgQt shows my current shell, cannot ping google. Firewall is paused. Not sure what else could be the problem at this point. I tried fresh installs, configuring the network interfaces and resetting to factory default.

My setup- 8x3TB’s in Z2, Supermicro X10SL7-F, 16 GB EEC RAM

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I recently moved. I am using the same router, but only my motherboard ipmi shows up as wired connections. I cannot access the IP the freenas shell is telling me to try.

Check your physical connections first, some times things come loose, become
damaged/broken. Check Ethernet cables first, what worked before, may have
gotten damaged in the move.

I tried fresh installs, configuring the network interfaces and resetting to factory default.
Resetting to Factory Default will delete your previous password, but I don't think
you've gotten that far yet.

Good luck.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Let us see the exact output of "ifconfig". We should be able to diagnose where you've gone wrong with the network pretty fast. I hope.

Also, please confirm that none, or some, of the following work from shell:

Code:
ping 8.8.8.8

Code:
drill www.ibm.com

Code:
curl icanhazip.com

If they don't work nearly instantly, they're not going to work, so abort each one if it appears to fail, and report back.

theman1

Dabbler

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well sir, I think we have your problem. Notice your network was configured for the first interface "igb0", and it is igb0 that has ip address 192.168.1.200. But you will notice "no carrier", meaning, nothing plugged in.

Notice, too, that igb1 shows "active", 1000baseT, meaning you're actually plugged into igb1.

Take your network cable, and put it in the other jack on your server. And everything will magically work ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
"status: no carrier"

There's your problem. There's no physical connection from your server to your switch. Check the cable and the connections.

And next time you need to post an image, upload it directly to the forum--there's no need to use a third-party image hosting service.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

There's your problem. There's no physical connection from your server to your switch. Check the cable and the connections.

And next time you need to post an image, upload it directly to the forum--there's no need to use a third-party image hosting service.
Don't try to steal my threads danb35!!!!!!! I beat you in any case!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Notice, too, you failed to pick up that the gentleman WAS plugged in, just in the wrong hole ;)

theman1

Dabbler
Having the supermicro with 3 different ethernet ports makes things confusing. I have 2 cables right now and moved one of them to the empty port. This is what my ifconfig now reads. I can still connect to my ipmi, but it no longer shows anything being connected to my router. Ping 8.8.8.8 doesn't work right now.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    150.3 KB · Views: 249

theman1

Dabbler
Better, though both interfaces are now showing as active. But you should be able to access the GUI now.
Unfortunately not yet. Tried a desktop with firewall off, and a laptop on the network with firewall off. Something comes up as unknown when I try to ping but there is no ip associated with it. IPMI no longer comes up

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well now you have an IP conflict, as both are on 192.168.1.200, and undoubtedly, you have an ARP routing nightmare, with the first MAC (9c) conflicting now with the second MAC (9d) on the same IP.

Go in to the network menu on the console, and totally reset the interfaces.

lmbcdk

Cadet
Also, if you only have two cables plugged in, it looks like they are both plugged into the normal ports rather than the IPMI port. So unplug the second cable and move it to the IPMI port for IPMI to work. IPMI might work from the normal ports too if the IP addresses are set correctly, depending on your IPMI/BIOS settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theman1

Dabbler
Well now you have an IP conflict, as both are on 192.168.1.200, and undoubtedly, you have an ARP routing nightmare, with the first MAC (9c) conflicting now with the second MAC (9d) on the same IP.

Go in to the network menu on the console, and totally reset the interfaces.

I reset the interfaces, then setup network config for one of them. Cant reach the server and the server still cannot ping. Here is my latest ifconfig.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    142.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well you've got me. You have two cables plugged in. I have no idea what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.