release of a version of freenas that include zeroshell features

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3o

Cadet
Hi to all, zeroshell is a Linux distribution that is used to provide network services ( http://www.zeroshell.org/ );

my request is: considering that freenas is based over freebsd, that is based over unix, is possible include driver (if necessary) and the same services (recompiled) of zeroshell distribution so to have an operating system that can trasform the pc also into a modem-router even that a NAS?

I thing that, for reason of performance, if my request is accepted, is better release another build even the "classic" freenas build.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FreeNAS is designed to be a storage appliance. Routing is best left to a router.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Zeroshell is Linux.

Freenas is freebsd.

They both have some similar Unix commands. That's about where the similarities end.

Zeroshell works well as a router/proxy/vpn/captive portal....

FrreNAS works well as a NAS.

The two should not be combined...

n3o

Cadet
if you have a pc that can be a router and a nas in the same time, why don't combine them?:confused:
in this way a pc has the feature of 2 devices...:cool:
Moreover some router such as fritz has a usb port and can be seen, however with many limitations, such as a combination between NAS and router...

your answer is due to tecnical limitation (Platform not compatible) or for a reason of feature (because you want that freenas is limited to NAS scope)?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Freebsd works perfectly well as a router (see pfsense).

It's not necessarily a technical reason aside from the developers will not waste the time to create such an awful idea. Putting your router and nas functionality is a problem of security and complexity.

I prefer the developers spend their time making freenas better, and not spend time implementing something that simply shouldn't be there. It's a waste of resources and a bad idea that nobody at iXSystems would agree to do.

So, in summation, this simply isn't going to happen.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The recommended best practice is for security devices (like a router) should be dedicated for security purposes and nothing else.

The devs prefer FreeBSD and aren't interested in using Linux. In fact, there is a holy jihad of sorts if you put linux guys and freebsd guys in the same room. Jokes aside, there was talk about a linux version a long time ago (very early stages of FreeNAS 8.0) and most of the devs basically were of the opinion they'd rather work in a freebsd shop than deal with linux and would leave the project.

So I'd call this a 'no go' from the start.

Nick2253

Wizard
if you have a pc that can be a router and a nas in the same time, why don't combine them?:confused:
in this way a pc has the feature of 2 devices...:cool:
Moreover some router such as fritz has a usb port and can be seen, however with many limitations, such as a combination between NAS and router...

your answer is due to tecnical limitation (Platform not compatible) or for a reason of feature (because you want that freenas is limited to NAS scope)?

Two things: security (like Cyberjock said) and reliability.

If you overcombine services, you will end up with a situation where a single point of failure can wipe out a large part of your ecosystem. If your router is your firewall and your NAS and your wireless access point, that one device can bring down all those services. Now you can't get your files, you can't get to the internet, and you have no wireless network. For standard consumers, this might be acceptable, because the cost of multiple devices outweighs the benefits of having separate devices. But FreeNAS is not, and never will be, a standard consumer NAS. More accurately, FreeNAS is an enterprise appliance that, because of its cost, is also attractive to tech-savy consumers.

Now, if you really want something like this, you're invited to attempt to shoe-horn it into a plugin for FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/2013/04/freenas-plugins-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html). But I doubt it will ever be a part of a standard FreeNAS release.

Status
Not open for further replies.