Recovering from corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortar

Dabbler
When I set up my freenas experiment, I had some corruption issues rather sooner than expected:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/asrock-c2550cd4i-corrupting-files.39879/

It basically looked something like:
Code:
NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM  
  pool-a  ONLINE  0  0  1  
  raidz1-0  ONLINE  0  0  2  
  gptid/xxx  ONLINE  0  0  0  
  gptid/yyy  ONLINE  0  0  0  
  gptid/zzz  ONLINE  0  0  0  

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:  

pool-a/mydataset:myfile

Months passed and I didn't bother to do anything about the above corruption in just one file since things were otherwise running fine. Now I decided to clean up the setup a bit and deleted the offending file as a first measure. The following scrub continued reporting a similar error with the only difference that the filename has changed:
Code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:  

pool-a/mydataset:<0x63>

Since there's no file named <0x63>, it obviously refers to some other type of filesystem data, which I find somewhat disturbing. How do I recover from this without rebuilding the whole thing? It was difficult enough to get the smb shares to behave themselves and I wouldn't like to start from scratch.

That the error can migrate from a file to somewhere else looks like a bug in ZFS code to me.

This thing is running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011. Would upgrading to 9.10 likely just increase the amount of problems?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably going to be metadata associated with that file, possibly in a snapshot.

This thing is running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011. Would upgrading to 9.10 likely just increase the amount of problems?
No, It's going to be neutral in that regard.

mortar

Dabbler
Ok, Fixed by running another scrub on it. It was a large file so maybe the delete was half-way through during the first scrub or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.