Recover volumes after usb drive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbi

Cadet
Dear Forum Members,
I'm using FreeNAS-8.3.2-ALPHA-r12978-x86 since a couple of years, after some problem on the initial stage, due to my inexperience, the system has been working until few days ago when the usb drive crashed.
The error was: KEYERROR "GETPWID():UID NOT FOUND:0". Searched in the forum and found that the USB key was corrupted. I recreate the USB with the same version and the system went up ok.
I have 2 sets of 3 HDD eachl. Volume 1: 3 disks of 160 GB about; Volume 2: 3 disks of 1 TB each.
To be sure to not damage any thing, I disconnected the 3 disks of volume 2. The system now is as a fresh installation.
I did no attempt to import volumes or auto import because I have no experience and don't want create further problems and to lost permanently my data, my question is: someone can describe for me the exact steps to set up the previous configurations?
Many thanks.
Biagio.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why on earth have you been using alpha software for "a couple of years"????

The answers you seek are most likely in the manual for 8.3.2, but don't expect much help if something doesn't match.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're going to find very few people willing to support anything running:

• A version older than 9.2.1.7
  • x86
  • Anything that isn't a "RELEASE"
You are all 3 of those.

garbi

Cadet
Why on earth have you been using alpha software for "a couple of years"????

The answers you seek are most likely in the manual for 8.3.2, but don't expect much help if something doesn't match.
Sorry, this is what downloaded that time, I'm not familiar, you mean that I can upgrade without any problem?

gpsguy

As the others have said, why would you use and reinstall an alpha version (in production).

Before you do anything, I'd do a fresh install of 8.3.2 on a new 4Gb+ flash drive. You can download it from here: http://download.freenas.org/

You can download the corresponding manual from here: http://doc.freenas.org/

There's a chance that your data is just fine.

Did you ever backup your configuration file, when the server was working? If not, look at section 6.3.1 of the manual.

garbi

Cadet
Thanks Gpsguy,
I reinstalled the same version on the same USB key after deep erase and the first volume has been imported ok with all my files.
As I said, I just wanted the Freenas to backup my documents, installed that version 2 years ago and was working fine on the assembled computer with the old components from various PC upgrade.
I don't have much time to reads hours of documents and upgrade to last FN software every week or so, if is working ok for me I reached the scope and thats all.
Now with the breakage opportunity I could try to upgrade to last version, but I'm afraid to import volume with new version with old hardware I could make mess, in any case the MB is Asus P5P800SE, 500 MB ram.
I also learned now how to make configuration backup.
Thanks.

pschatz100

Guru
You should replace the USB flash drive. It will fail again.

gpsguy

Don't even think about going any further. With just 500Mb of RAM, you are cruising for disaster. Hopefully you have other backups of the critical data.

Like yourself, I don't believe one needs to upgrade, for upgrade sakes. However you are running an alpha (pre-release) version of 8.3.2.

With many software projects, alpha's can be quite buggy, beta's not so buggy, release candidates (hopefully ready for prime time), and hopefully everything is fixed when it finally ships. Logically, one would suggest that you upgraded to 8.3.2. I wouldn't go beyond that with your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.