Recover UFS Data after Jumpdrive failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekelley

Cadet
Overview-
I had FreeNAS installed on a USB jump drive and the drive failed.. Hardware for the system is a Dualcore system with 4 GB of ram.. I have 4 drives in the system 2 are mirrored and then I have 2 that are just 2 different drives for different shares and jails.

I installed the system using UFS and it was along time ago. I used UFS because the system had major issues with performance with ZFS and that was what was recommended.. I want to say it was 2 maybe 3 years ago.. It ran great and I have upgraded it a few time so I am not sure what version of FreeNAS was installed on it before it died..

Issue-
I have had a couple issues where I had to reload freenas after an upgrade and the volumes just mounted them self. This time I put a new jump drive into the system and installed the latest and it sees the drives but doesn't auto mount them. Nor will it give me an option to import them. I then looked at the system and I don't see UFS as a supported file type only ZFS. Which makes sense since it has more error checking and correcting. Anyways :)
I did follow the instructions in the manual to attempt to import the UFS volume and I have no available discs in the system to copy the data to.. Is this my only option with the latest version of FreeNAS 9.3?
So I downloaded an older version of FreeNAS 8.2 and that wont install on my system at all.. I re-downloaded it couple times and tried and for some reason it just throws errors. But 9.3 was just fine.. So I figured WTH and went to download NAS4FREE and tried that. It sees the drives but will not auto mount the volume.

Once I get the drives mounted my goal will be now to copy the data off to a ZFS drive ;) onto a new i5 or i7 system with 8+ GB ram..

I would love any support possible!!

ekelley

Cadet
After looking at some of the posts I did about 2 years ago the last version I listed on the forum was FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty).
I will attempt to download and burn that version and try to recover drives.. I'm thinking I have upgraded it since that!

D

dlavigne

Once you get that version installed, see what gmirror status says. You may have to fsck as well (the boot messages will tell you if you need to do that).

Status
Not open for further replies.