Mount FreeNAS 0.7RC1 UFS external drive in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyllFyre

Cadet
OK, so I've been running FreeNAS for somewhere around three years now.
The version I'm running is 0.7RC1 Sardaukar (revision 4735).
I have two internal 1.5TB drives in software RAID1. One of them is failing, so I figured if I have to tear it down, why not upgrade?
I have two 3TB drives ready to go, newest 32-bit version of FreeNAS on a flash drive ready to go, and now am moving data.

Here's the rub. I recently added a 1TB external drive to the FreeNAS box, formatted UFS, and was hoping, instead of having to copy all of that data to other drives, to be able to mount it on my Linux box and copy it from there after the "new" NAS was assembled.

I can't get the UFS drive to mount. The drive shows up when plugged in but it cannot recognize the partition. I tried creating a mountpoint and mounting it with the mount command and the ufs parameters but it gives me an error message (of which I cannot currently reproduce to post as I have the drive and NAS back up and running and am copying data off of it).

SFTA shows that Linux should have read ability for the UFS drive but it cannot seem to find a "valid" file system to mount.

At the moment, I'm trying to move data off of it to other drives on other computers, ones plugged in externally to my laptop, and some will probably end up on the (small) main laptop drive to catch the rest of it.

Is there something easy I can do to have this mount on my Linux box or should I just spend the next day moving files before I can rebuild the box?

Thanks,
-Sean

GuyllFyre

Cadet
V0.7 is going away, I am installing v8.
I am attempting to get a UFS drive mounted to recover data to move to v8, not get support for 0.7.
I tend to give a full description of what I am doing and what I have to get help.

GuyllFyre

Cadet
Got a copy of the error message.
mount: wrong fs type, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog -try
dmesg | tail or so

I was reading that somehow I could define partitions and/or file system without losing data but I'm not experienced enough to know how to do this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
V0.7 is going away, I am installing v8.
I am attempting to get a UFS drive mounted to recover data to move to v8, not get support for 0.7.
I tend to give a full description of what I am doing and what I have to get help.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I'd trust my data to feedback from this forum regarding your issue. The old FreeNAS 0.7 project was maintained and developed by a totally different group of people. FreeNAS 8 doesn't share any code with the "old" FreeNAS.

Sure, some of us may have used FreeNAS 0.7 back in the day, but I wouldn't recommend you get help here. I'd recommend you go to the NAS4Free forums and ask there. That is the true successor to FreeNAS 0.7. Those are the same developers that made FreeNAS 0.7. If you do have a backup, i'd just install FreeNAS 8, make a new zpool(or UFS) and go from there. If you don't have backups, I definitely wouldn't be asking for help in this forum. You might not be too happy with the results(lost data).

Status
Not open for further replies.