Recover deleted data after creating new pool

rencode

Cadet
Hi everyone, I had 1TB hard drive and i created a pool with it (i set it to Stripe), inside the pool i had a dataset. then i wanted to create a mirror configuration so i got another 1TB hard drive, i backed up my pool and then i created a new pool using both drives and Mirror configuration BUT i forgot to back up one dataset inside previous Pool (the one with Stripe configuration and one 1TB drive).
first configuration : 1TB drive set to Stripe, one pool with two datasets
second configuration : 2 x 1TB harddrive
Is it possible to recover my dataset?
Please help me, this data is very important

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't like your chances, but there may be some recoverable data on the original disk if you didn't write much data to it in the mirror configuration.

You can try with software like testdisk/photorec or if the data is worth sufficient money to you, something like klennet (much more complicated to do and is paid software for recovery, although you can see what can be recovered for free)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I've recovered some broken pools with label cloning, but from my understanding in this case, we'd have to find a way to manually recreate the exact same ZFS label on your single stripe-drive, and create an uberblock with a valid checksum for the state of the Merkle-tree structure on the disk. I don't know if that's in the realm of possibility.

rencode

Cadet
UPDATE : Hi everyone, i was able to recover most files, none of the programs i used worked (trust me i used them all), all they recovered is damaged and unusable, except for Klennet ZFS Recovery, this piece of software is an absolute BEAST, if you are desperate then it is your only hope. i highly recommend it.
thank you all for the help

Glitch01

Dabbler
I was an idiot and wiped my pools while installing Proxmoxo_O Proxmox by default will attempt to use all your drives for the OS installation = format all my disk. Thanks for the recommendation for data recovery. I'm testing Hetman Raid Recovery demo and will give Klennet a go. Will created offline backup of my NAS for future catastrophes :rolleyes:

Update: Hetman was unsuccessful. Klennet is on day 3 of scanning and seems to have successfully identified the deleted pools are scanning for files and versions recoverable.

Last edited: