Record size confusion

Computer8080

Cadet
So I am quite new to FreeNAS and a complete noob in ZFS, so I might be completely misunderstanding some things. So I created my ZFS pool and datasets a while ago, but as far as I remeber, I used the default settings. So I finnaly got arround to backing up my stuff to the NAS and I noticed that the "Size" and "Size on disk" as reported by the "Properties" in file explorer for some of my files are quite diffrent. So I started digging into it and noticed that even a 136 B file takes up 1 MB on the disk. This, if I understand correctly would mean that the record size is 1 MB. I checked the pool and dataset settings and the "Record size" setting is set to 128k.

explorer_2020-01-26_22-16-47.png
explorer_2020-01-27_00-02-53.png

So am I missing or completely misunderstanding something, or is this just a windows thing and it isincorectly reported?

RickH

Explorer
So am I missing or completely misunderstanding something, or is this just a windows thing and it isincorectly reported?

This is a 'Windows thing' and isn't a cause for concern. I'm not sure exactly what causes the reporting discrepency - but I'm storing 120+ TB of data on several FreeNAS servers and have observed this on all of them - the overall usage on the FreeNAS servers is as expected and despite the 1M reporting in Windows - the files don't seem to be consuming extra space on the servers.

Computer8080

Cadet
Thanks for your response. Yesterday I upgraded to FreeNAS 11.3 and it now shows up correctly. Not sure if the update itself fixed it or just the reboot, but thanks anyway.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I just migrated from freenas to truenas. I have a simple set up to manage my media. I use the KISS system to make my life as easy as possible .

Therefore I have one pool and 4 datasets to seggregate my media and documents. all datasets on both server are identical up to the spelling.

I use rsync from one server to anothe to backup my data. and all the tasks, owners acls are identical

Only one server is on truenas the other is on freenas 12.0 u8.
All my datasets with the exception og my tvs hows replicate from one server to the other without any issue.

My tv shows fails every time

I look at my dataset in my pool to see if i have any issue... non

I sabe the dataset and i get recordsize (inherit128K) error.

So i set te record size to 64 it is accepted and then save. I then try my rsync task and of course it fails. I then go back to the truenas pool dataset tv shows and change the record size to 128k and it a is accepted. I run the rsync again and it si working fine.

What is my issue and how di i fix it in order to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for your patience and understanding