Recommended drives for Dedup Vdev m.2 or SATA?

cdndude

Cadet
Looking for recommendations for an SSD to be used on my new 5x10TB Raidz2 pool. I couldn't find a thread on the topic but Id appreciate any help.

I'm currently looking at the Samsung 980 Pro 250GB thinking I might see a benefit with PCIe 4.0 and its write endurance. Or could I just cheap out and get a much less expensive KINGSTON NV1. I assume m.2 is the better option but am totally open to SATA.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome.

Step one for deduplication is "don't" and step two is "don't, unless you are absolutely positive you can benefit from it."

Please describe in detail your:

1) complete hardware setup (processor, MB, RAM, drive config)
2) workload (protocols used, type and quantity of data stored)
3) performance expectations (eg: "70/30 read/write, sustaining 200MB/s read and 100MB/s write")

But know that deduplication requires a LOT of resources - see this resource from @Stilez about the level they went to in order to get consistent, sustained performance.

cdndude

Cadet
Welcome.

Step one for deduplication is "don't" and step two is "don't, unless you are absolutely positive you can benefit from it."

Please describe in detail your:

1) complete hardware setup (processor, MB, RAM, drive config)
2) workload (protocols used, type and quantity of data stored)
3) performance expectations (eg: "70/30 read/write, sustaining 200MB/s read and 100MB/s write")

But know that deduplication requires a LOT of resources - see this resource from @Stilez about the level they went to in order to get consistent, sustained performance.

CPU Intel i7 11700K (8 Core, 16 Thread)
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15
RAM 4x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (64 GB)
Motherboard ASUS Prime B560-PLUS
Storage 5x WD Red 10TB 7200 RPM HDD (~26.77 TB Raidz2 Backup Pool)
2x Samsung Evo 840 250 GB SSD (~445.62 GB VM Pool)
Kingston A400 120GB SSD (Boot Drive)
PCI-e card Dell H310 SAS card

2. Just an SMB share that takes a robocopy to mirror our current fileserver. I work at a multimedia company so we do store many duplicates of adobe files, fonts, etc. Our current file server has deduplication on Windows Server with SAS HDD. Its 13TB free out of 19.2TB while my backup is 8.40TB free out of 26.7TB.

3. At the moment I just want to ensure that its getting the daily backup/snapshots done. I did have hopes to have 2-3 playground VMs going at point but not critical or 24/7 and with low resources.