m.2 SATA PCIe Adapter (Converter?) Unobtainium?

Hi folks - I have a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 m.2 SATA drive from a notebook that failed (someone sat on it and cracked the motherboard :().

I'm looking for an adapter card that has (1) accept the 2280-sized EVO 850 m.2 SATA drive, (2) uses a PCIe slot, and (3) will provide 6 Gbit/s speed, and (4)does not require a conventional SATA port on the motherboard (both of my onboard 6 Gbit/s connections are used for the mirrored boot SSDs).

It looks like the StarTech PEX2M2 would work. Has anyone used one? If so, does it meet my requirements?

Thanks!

subhuman

Contributor
A used HBA and something like this:

would also give you more SAS/SATA ports for future expansion.

Several others on this site have recommended

but I personally have no experience with that seller.

M.2 adapter + HBA adapter, breakout cable around $40 = around $110 and you still have future expansion options
Or, the StarTech PEX2M2 for $65 and your only future expansion option is a second SATA M.2 device

Last edited:
The challenge is that I don't have any drive slots to use. Hence, the desire for a PCI card-based option.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
I used this adapter with an M.2 drive in my FreeNAS system for years and it worked flawlessly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU9JS94

The M.2 drive popped up in the UI exactly as you'd expect, no hoops to jump through or driver modules to enable or crap like that.

Edit: ...except my M.2 drive was PCIe... I think you're probably out of luck with a SATA M.2 drive. If your motherboard doesn't have any more SATA ports, there are probably no more SATA lanes left on your chipset, so even if you had an M.2 slot on your board, it would likely disable one of your SATA ports. Your best option would be to get a SATA HBA and some adapter cable so you can plug in your SSD.

Last edited:
Hi @jro - It would be nice but my EVO 850 is a SATA III drive, not NVMe. It has 2 notches in the connector.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Yep, my bad, updated my post... I think you're out of luck.

Hmmm.. It seems like the StarTech PEX2M2 will work... The faq says:
Although M.2 SSDs come in similar form factors, only an M.2 SATA drive with an NGFF B key will operate with this device. M.2 drives that are PCIe or have a different key position are not compatible with this device.

This device can adapt an M.2 SATA drive to standard SATA connections, which is not possible for a PCIe based M.2 drive. The key type refers to the connector type on the M.2 SATA drive. B key can be M.2 PCIe x2 or SATA, so it is important that you check the specifications of the drive to see if it supports SATA.

The EVO 850 has a "B and M" key so it should work...

And it seems since hen's teeth are about the only rarer thing, they are priced accordingly. :(

Since I'm going to replace the Samsung SM981 500 GB in my new laptop with a 1 TB drive, it might be more re-use that one in the FreeNAS box. M Key adapters like @jro suggested are cheaper by almost an order of magnitude.

subhuman

Contributor
M-key adapters are dumb devices. Both the slot and the SSD are PCIe; just connect wires and you're good-to-go. The SATA versions actually need some electronics.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
M-key adapters are dumb devices. Both the slot and the SSD are PCIe; just connect wires and you're good-to-go. The SATA versions actually need some electronics.
Are you suggesting people stick wires into their PCIe slot and connect them to the pads on the M.2 drive instead of buying a $20 card? Because I'd probably disagree with that suggestion...

Andrew32

Cadet
Solution: