recommended CPU cooler for xeon 1230 v5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayle30

Dabbler
So just upgraded my server from the terrible asrock c2550, xeon 1230 v5 is running flawlessly and eating up everything i throw at it.

I built it last week when we had a cold front in Texas (it was like 30-40 degrees outside) so my house was nice and cool.. thought the stock cooler was handling the CPU fine.

Anyway, the weather is back to being terrible again. My house is like 75 degrees right now.

I was doing some work on my server and with my CPU getting work done it starts hitting 75 degrees C. Since supermicro boards dont really have much fan config other than the 'optimal, standard, heavy IO and full' settings it tells all my server Fans to go 100% which is annoying.

TLDR: looks like i need a nice quiet and beefier cooler for my xeon 1230, 75 degrees under load is a safe temperature i know.. but id prefer to keep it lower to prevent my server fans ramping up.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 90mm Noctuas are a decent compromise.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was doing some work on my server and with my CPU getting work done it starts hitting 75 degrees C.
What kind of work and what was the CPU usage percentage? If you were running the CPU at 80% or more then I'd say things are fine. If you are having a 30% usage then I'd reinstall the CPU heatsink using some high quality heatsink compound. Or maybe ensure it's just mounted fully.

If you are at a high CPU utilization then a better heatsink should be used but the stock coolers from Intel are generally very good.

The other thing could poor air flow in your case, another thing I'd look at before replacing the heatsink.

Maybe you could tell us the complete makeup of your system, case included.

tvsjr

Guru
Pictures help as well. The Intel cooler, properly installed and backed up by proper case fans, should work just fine - even for a system that's pegged at 100% load continuously.

gayle30

Dabbler
What kind of work and what was the CPU usage percentage? If you were running the CPU at 80% or more then I'd say things are fine. If you are having a 30% usage then I'd reinstall the CPU heatsink using some high quality heatsink compound. Or maybe ensure it's just mounted fully.

If you are at a high CPU utilization then a better heatsink should be used but the stock coolers from Intel are generally very good.

The other thing could poor air flow in your case, another thing I'd look at before replacing the heatsink.

Maybe you could tell us the complete makeup of your system, case included.

Thanks for the reply.

My system is supermicro X11SSM-F, 1230 E3 v5, eight 4tb HGST Nas drives in raidz2, 32gb of ram.

Runs about 28 degrees C idle which is normal, my cpu was running at 100% transcoding a few streams and updating plex (transcoding setting is 'make my cpu hurt').

My air flow is good, I have four 3000rpm noctua industrial 140mm fans.

I'm sure my stock cooler is fine, 75 degrees with 100% load is pretty normal..

Would it be better to get a cpu cooler that blows onto the motherboard to cool the vrms, heatsinks etc? Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kykwrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhc14s

Or would a cheaper vertical cooler like the hyper 212 be fine?

I actually think I have an old scythe kotetsu lying around I should probably try (http://www.silentpcreview.com/Scythe_Kotetsu)

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
My system which has the same base components runs idle at 23C and the room temperature is 73F (22.7C).

As for using an aftermarket heatsink, there are a lot of fine coolers out there and many of the really good ones cost under $40.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO at $35 is the best budget cooler out there. There are better coolers but it's hard to beat the bang for buck value of this cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.