Recommended build for compute clusters and backups

Chedda7

Cadet
I’m looking to use TrueNAS Scale as a storage server in a rack with other servers that host VMs for Kubernetes clusters and web apps. The k8s clusters are doing a mixture of compute with Argo Workflows and app hosting themselves. I’m coming from a stronger background in AWS so I was hoping to get some info on hardware needed to do this properly.

1. Speed: I’m used to using SSD EBS volumes on EC2 nodes in AWS, is it generally recommended to stay with flash for an on-prem deployment? I would except ~50 VMs total accessing this storage server via NFS or iSCSI. We don’t need bleeding edge speeds here, but I would like good performance and I expect this system to be deployed for 5+ years. We have 25Gbit networking, would be willing to consider DAC between physical nodes as well.
2. Size: Looking to stay under 100TB usable. The VMs aren’t needing massive storage and this will be the target for backups as well. It seems striped mirrors is recommend for flash systems and something like 2-3x VDEV ZRAID6 for spinning. Is that accurate?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
~50 VMs total accessing this storage server via NFS or iSCSI
looking to use TrueNAS Scale
Those 2 things aren't a good combination right now (but might be down the line somewhere).

Use CORE for now if you want iSCSI.

It seems striped mirrors is recommend for flash systems and something like 2-3x VDEV ZRAID6 for spinning. Is that accurate?
Not really.

Striped mirrors are recommended for block storage (i.e. VMs). (lots of spinning disks with SLOG on optane or fewer SSDs with optional optane SLOG)

File storage would be served well by spinning disks in RAIDZ2.

Chedda7

Cadet
Use CORE for now if you want iSCSI.
Roger that. Do you have a recommendation of NFS or iSCSI? I've used NFS in the past to that is straight forward for me, iSCSI is new.

Striped mirrors are recommended for block storage (i.e. VMs). (lots of spinning disks with SLOG on optane or fewer SSDs with optional optane SLOG)
I think I am tracking here. I've found that flash and spinning are similarly priced for our use case when you consider that you need a lot of disks to get the performance up. The fact that we don't need a lot of usable space has me leaning towards flash.

I've read that flash can be intensive, would a system with 2x EPIC 7313 (16-core 3.00GHz 128MB Cache) be sufficient here? Drive count would be around 12.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I've read that flash can be intensive, would a system with 2x EPIC 7313 (16-core 3.00GHz 128MB Cache) be sufficient here? Drive count would be around 12.
It's more about lanes if you're using NVME flash, so more CPUs is more lanes.

It's not that bad if you're on SAS/SATA.
Do you have a recommendation of NFS or iSCSI? I've used NFS in the past to that is straight forward for me, iSCSI is new.
NFS is fine if it means sticking with what you know. Maybe means you can consider SCALE.

Chedda7

Cadet
Thanks for the info @sretalla. I read through the article you posted about Block storage again and bug into the additional readings there as well. It’s helped me to determine that we definitely want to go with flash storage here.

I did some poking around, it seems NVMe at larger densities is the best bang for buck that I can find.

Thinking of getting 12x of these 6 mirrored vdevs: https://www.cdw.com/product/micron-9300-pro-ssd-7.68-tb-u.2-pcie-3.0-x4-nvme/7333343

This will help to keep utilization down and performance up as suggested.

SLOG seems optional, but good safety. Is that accurate? If so I will source an octane drive.

For read cache, how important will it be when using nvme? And also, if I go with 512GB or 1TB of RAM will that suffice for the cache?

sretalla