Recommendations on "replication" target

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadje93

Explorer
Happily running a main FreeNAS server (currently filled half);

12x 4TB red, divided in 2x 6disk Z2 vdevs running in 1 pool. With ZIL mirrored SSDs (intel dc models) and raid 0 L2arc, on a nice xeon E5 system with 128G ECC (buffered) RAM (1G/TB). Soon to be upgraded with 2 new vdevs of 6 disks added to the pool for the total of 24 disks divided into 4 vdevs for some nice sequential performance if i ever go to 10Gb/s Ethernet. Off course with ECC-ramm.

Disks are connected to 3 of the well known LSI9211-8i's in IT mode. The ZIL/L2Arc is directly connected to the motherboard.

But now i want to build my replication target as FreeNAS feels "good". First intend was, if FreeNAS doesn't work to my liking the machine will be used as virtualization host, with data moved to a Synolgy RS system, so that's why the 128GB RAM.

For a replication machine i have a 16 bay case, so my plan is 2 vdevs of 8disks, 6TB each (Equal raw storage) in Z3, as that brings in roughly the same net storage.

but now for the ram/tb needs, its going to be 16x6TB, so that would mean 96GB RAM. Do I "really" need this much RAM for a basic replication target which hopefully will never be read from in the future?

If I do need it, I'm going to need to get 2011-3 build, else I could stick to socket 1151 which makes the Xeons a little cheaper. I don't want to "undercut" the hardware as per the guide it says 1GB/TB. But as replication target won't need a big ARC (as far as i know), only the ZIL which I will add with mirrored DC SSDs.

So for a replication target with 96TB raw storage, is 64GB RAM enough, or do i need at least 96G like the main system has. (So in real world that's going to be 128G probably), where the disks will also be connected to LSI9211-8i's, but this time 2 of them (1vdev/controller, or spread out between them?)

I'm looking forward to your recommendations, FreeNAS is working wonderfully, and in the last 2 years i just recently got my first "warning" email from the ZFS doing its thing, a checksum error which was found (bit flip?). Burn in and closely watching smart has helped a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is a very loose, deliberately-vague rule of thumb. Once above about 16 GB of RAM, it's questionable whether it has any validity at all; the RAM requirements are going to have a lot more to do with the specifics of your workload.
But as replication target won't need a big ARC (as far as i know), only the ZIL which i will add with mirrored DC ssd's.
I don't believe zfs recv uses sync writes, so neither L2ARC nor SLOG would be of any benefit to you in this application.

aadje93

Explorer
My workload is not realy "huge" so its optional to take 64gb (16g sticks) from the main server to use in the replication target? That saves me like 800 euros on memory :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.