BUILD Recommendation for low-cost NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johhhn

Explorer
Hi all!

I've been threatening to build a ZFS box for quite some time and have finally decided to do it. I've built a couple using desktop-class parts and have gotten some great results.

I need to build a low-cost NAS box with the following specs:

1- 16GB ECC RAM (this box will only serve one or two computers at at time- video files for editing)
2- Low cost CPU and motherboard with ECC support

There are so many different motherboards/cpu combos out there that it's very overwhelming. I'm looking for something with a low-end cpu since there won't be many users (as indicated above) and only will be in use for a few hours a day (at most).

Two questions:

1- Recommendations?

2- ZFS RAID Type.
I've read the PPT presentation (good job!) and noticed that it only talked about RAIDZ1,2,3, but not mirror RAIDs. A lot of the reading re: ZFS I've done over the years talked about mirror RAID for reliability and performance.

My question is: with such large drives being used nowadays (2TB+), are you guys not worried about BER (bit error rate)? If there's a technical reason why it's not as big of a deal with ZFS, please enlighten me.

thank you!

John

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Recommendations:

1. Play with FreeNAS in a VM so you are familiar with it. Use the manual and the forum stickies to answer your questions. Also read the presentation I wrote(link in my sig).
2. Using the stickies you can get recommended parts for FreeNAS.
3. Ask any additional questions you have that aren't in the manual or stickies.

Johhhn

Explorer
Hi,

Apparently my trackpad was very happy to submit the post before I finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.