Recommend mini-itx motherboard and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubbens16

Cadet
I currently have a Freenas on an old mini-itx motherboard that serves my media to XBMC. However, I encounter stuttering movies and I guess that my Freenas system is not fast enough.

Can you recommend a mini-itx motherboard and CPU? I would like to reuse my current case (Travla TE-1160). Because this is a 1U case, I don't have much space for a fan.

I'm not looking into much fancy stuff. It just has to be faster than my old motherboard but I prefer low power.

I guess this question has been asked a 1000 times, but I don't understand a thing of all the hardware choices. I don't have a problem installing hardware, but I don't follow all the different chip sets, motherboard choices, and so on.

Ivan

JohnK

Patron
Read this thread. All about mini-itx.

Not knowing anything about your current hardware it is difficult to tell, but stuttering movies probably more an issue with your frontends devices or network, e.g. wireless vs wired. Streaming movies do not tax your backend that much. I had 4 devices streaming 1080 off a Buffalo LS-VL that has a tiny processor with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.