BUILD Mini ITX 7x4tb HDD m1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeThruHead

Cadet
I've got an m1015 on the way, as well as a LIAN LI pc-q25b case which is a mini-itx case with support for 7 3.5 inch hdd's. I've also got 2x8gb of kingston ddr3 i can use. I'm looking to use 7 4tb drives.

I'm looking for motherboard suggestions for the least amount of hassle during installation and use.
I would assume for the least hassle i should get something with a gigabit intel NIC and enough power to run a few apps such as sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd etc.

It's purpose will be as an SMB server for a few htpcs as well ass backup of a few computers.
I'd like to keep the motherboard/cpu cost under $400.

Who's got an idea of what I should be looking for, or better yet an example of another system working within this form factor.

I've seen this. Should this be my motherboard or is there something better I can get under $400
I don't mind getting ECC ram, as long as it can get 16gb in a mini itx system.

And yes I require that this system be ITX.

If you guys strongly suggest it. I could spend the extra cash for this http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=83351

Ok I've changed my mind (come to my senses.) I'm going to order an mATX case. Still using my m1015. So with that in mind what motherboard do you guys suggest for the m-atx form factor?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi SeeThruHead,

I think you are going to have to compromise on something on your list.

That Supermicro board might be your best bet.....I would expect that it would at least have a high likelihood of running the M1015 in the 16x PCI-e slot & it has built in Intel NICs (more NICs than I suspect you need). Keep in mind you will need to buy SO-DIMMs....I can't even guess what 8GB ECC SO-DIMMs cost, so your requirement that you stuff it into that tiny little case is going to prove expensive. Note, with 7 4TB drives you are still well under how much memory you should have, and you still haven't factored in the memory needs of the jail.

-Will

SeeThruHead

Cadet
Ok. I've changed my mind and I'll be returning my case and getting the larger m-ATX pc-v354. That opens my options to m-atx boards. This gives me 7 drives still. I will buy some ecc ram. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239402 which look to be confirmed working with SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O. I think I'll be using an i3-2100 unless anyone has any better ideas.
Build:
Case: Lian Li PC-V354
MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O.
RAM: Kingston 4x8gb unbuffered ECC DDR3 1600

titan_rw

Guru
The i3-2100 doesn't support ECC ram, just so you're aware.

If you want ecc ram, make sure both the CPU and MB support it. That board would, but your proposed cpu doesn't. Aside from xeon cpu's, the G2020 supports ecc, but is a bit limited on cpu power.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

The i3-2100 when paired with a Supermicro X9S series board supports ECC unbuffered RAM just fine.

Take a look at page 5 of this:

http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/46/78/467819_467819.pdf

Also, I'm running that exact config, An X9SCL, i3-2100 & 16GB of unbuffered ECC. I can certainly confirm that the proc\board combo will not run with non-ECC DDR-3.

-Will

SeeThruHead

Cadet
The rig in your signature survive was what I was going off of. Ok, so with 7x 4tb drives, what raidz setting should I use. 1 or 2? Usable storage capacity is more important to me than performance. Also the safetly of my data isn't really a huge deal either, anything that I truly can't lose will be mirrored elsewhere. This is mostly for video, music, iso's and the like.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi SeeThruHead,

Personally I think only madmen & fools run raidz with drives bigger that a terabyte.

No question in my mind that you should use raidz2. If it were my choice, I had to use 4TB drives & I valued the data at all I'd probably do raidz3.

Note that I might value a set of data more than you value yours.....if this is just a monster archive of BR rips or something else you could walk away from relatively unscathed the choice might be different. It really gets down to the price tag you put on the additional 3.6TB you would lose.

-Will

paleoN

Wizard
If it were my choice, I had to use 4TB drives & I valued the data at all I'd probably do raidz3.
As a bonus that's an optimal raidz3 configuration, 7 x drives raidz3.

Note that I might value a set of data more than you value yours.....if this is just a monster archive of BR rips or something else you could walk away from relatively unscathed the choice might be different.
This doesn't apply to you survive.

Only up to a point. Once you accumulate enough data the question becomes, "How much is your time worth?" Even if it's just a bunch of BR rips, which get large fast, how long would it take you to re-rip all of them. Is it actually worth not buying the extra drive? I'd argue there is a tipping point which is reached sooner rather than later with this. Single-parity just doesn't cut.

SeeThruHead

Cadet
I haven't actually managed to build this thing yet, and I was wondering if someone could help me figuring out how to update it with components that are still available at retail?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi SeeThruHead,

Since you last asked Intel has released the Haswel series of processors, so there's a whole new line of boards and procs to consider. The Haswel's are a little bit faster & use about the same amount of power as the Ivy Bridge procs. For about the same amount of money you can buy the well-known X9S series or you can get one of the latest X10 boards. There are a couple of threads in the hardware section about the Supermicro X10's, here's the longest one:

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/supermicro-x10-series.15125/

There is a particularly interesting variant, the X10SL7, which has an on-board LSI2008 controller. Here's the thread about board:

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/supermicro-x10sl7-f.14105/#post-75511

The thing with the on-board controller is that it's on-board, so you can't "take it with you" if you move to a new board, but it also adds about half the cost of buying a proper M1015 controller (but you give up the ability to use SFF-8087 cables that make running the SATA connections so much cleaner).

One nice thing about the Haswel procs is that many of the lower end chips now have AES-NI, which you want if you plan on using encryption.When used with a server-grade chipset the lower-end procs also support ECC.

I can't tell you what I would buy if I had to order new gear right now, but what i would do is go through that first thread and see what sort of luck other forum members have had with the X10's & if they work well that's what I would get. If I didn't have an M1015 already I'd be really tempted to spring for the SL7 variant because with the right case you can still wire mange the hell out of a bunch of SATA cables.

-Will

SeeThruHead

Cadet
I've also already bought my m1015 so I wont be needing the onboard. My main concern is that I was going to go with the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard and a 2100 processor but it doesn't look like the 2100 is for sale anymore.

My main concern with stepping up to haswell would be that new hardware usually takes a while before it works 100% from what I've seen. I'd rather have something that is proven.

I suppose I could use the X9SCL with an Ivy bridge i3? the 3220t is listed as supported ECC and it's still available at retail.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi SeeThruHead,

First thing I would do (certainly before I spend any money) is to read through the 2 threads I posted in my prior message.

I bet it wouldn't take but a moment of reading to verify whether the X10 boards work with FreeNAS 9.1.1, well worth the time to get all the latest Intel components.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.