ASUS P9D-I Server Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdt

Explorer
So I'm seriously looking the ASUS P9D-I mini-ITX server motherboard for a mini-ITX build I'm considering, I will be combining it with a IBM M1015 or equivalent to get the additional ports required.

Unfortunately where I am located, I have only found one older style Intel ITX server motherboard so its either that or the ASUS.

I want to avoid the desktop models as they don't support ECC ram.

I'm curious to know what people think of the ASUS brand for server based equipment, feel free to give your opinion.

Thanks,

Craig

beemaster

Dabbler
4 SATA, maximum 16GB RAM. Not impressed.
With IBM M1015 it would get too expensive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not to mention.. ASUS isn't exactly name brand for server-grade. Not on my recommended list either. Most people I know simply consider Supermicro to be unavailable because they don't want to wait 3 weeks for Newegg to ship it to country Z. Sorry, I consider that to still be available. If quality is what you want, a 3 week wait isn't asking for miracles.

craigdt

Explorer
Not to mention.. ASUS isn't exactly name brand for server-grade. Not on my recommended list either. Most people I know simply consider Supermicro to be unavailable because they don't want to wait 3 weeks for Newegg to ship it to country Z. Sorry, I consider that to still be available. If quality is what you want, a 3 week wait isn't asking for miracles.

I can actually get SuperMicro in Australia, just haven't seen a mini-ITX motherboard they have made that I like.
I would consider an AsRock server motherboard, but I would need to actually import one in from the USA using a third party service as NewEgg doesn't ship to Australia.

Note I'm wanting to put it into the SilverStone DS380 case due to space constraints where I live.

So how would you rate the brands in order ? would it be something like SupeMicro, AsRock, Asus ?

beemaster

Dabbler
In mini-itx format consider ASRock C2550D4I or ASRock C2750D4I.
http://www.asrock.com/server/overview.asp?Model=C2550D4I
Those boards have Intel Atom CPU bundled so that's why they are pricey.
They are quite new and immature but a few people have FreeNAS boxes with them and looks like they are happy.
You can search on this forum.

Most important benefits:
Up to 64GB of RAM
12 SATA ports
Very low energy consumption

I plan to buy one of that boards, but now I am patiently waiting for more people to adopt them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.