recomendations, opinions hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

i'm not new with freenas i used it long time ago, and now i need a new server.

my intention is storage data mainly for, and may be for hyper-v (via iscsi) and for developers some storage for virtualbox.

this is it.

chasis: CHEMBRO SR-105
power: ATX 850W TACENS RADIX VI FPC
main board: 1150 INTEL S1200V3RPL
memory: 1600 DDR3 8GB KINGSTON ECC x2
cpu: 1150 E3-1220 V2 3.1GHZ XEON
hard disk: SATA 3 4TB WESTERN DIGITAL x6
network: NET T.RED INTEL PRO/1000PT PCIE

other:
CD DVDR LG GH24NS S-ATA BLACK
VGA ASUS GF EN210 1GB SILENT DDR3

pros/cons ??

should i buy a IBM ServeRAID M1015 target or similar?

any comments will be appreciated

thanx in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Kingston has gotten a pretty negative reputation lately; I'd probably look at Crucial, Micron, or Samsung for RAM instead. The power supply is about double the power you're going to need for this build and not a brand I've seen before--Seasonic is what I see recommended here most often. The motherboard you've chosen has dual onboard LAN ports, so you shouldn't need a third one.

From the product info pages I'm finding at Intel, it's hard to tell how many SATA ports the motherboard has. If it has 6, which seems to be the norm for Intel server chipsets lately, I don't see any reason at this point to buy an HBA--you have six disks, and six ports to which to attach them. If you want to add more disks in the future, you can add the HBA at that time.

You don't need an optical drive, so you can get rid of that. It looks like your chosen motherboard also supports IPMI, which would make your video card redundant.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
That CPU is not compatible. You've selected a v2 Xeon that's LGA1155, you need a v3 Xeon on LGA1150 socket. Pick one with integrated graphics such as the E3-1225v3

ARK page for this board

It has six SATA ports, an internal USB port so you don't have to hang the FreeNAS boot drive off the back. You also don't need the extra network card.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Is integrated graphics on the CPU necessary? With SuperMicro boards that support IPMI, it isn't.

As far as I know the Intel S1200 boards won't boot fully headless. Most SuperMicro boards have a small ASPEED 2D graphics chip as well so they're never truly "headless" either.

thank you all, i appreciate it.

i need the second NIC for a reason, integrated = (lacp trunk) backup server link... and Intel nic (lacp trunk) for comms.
by this way, splitting links switches get less traffic and users can work finely.
the cd/dvd and graphics... comes at no cost (more or less), so i don't care about.
power.. i'm fine with that i'll try brand

cpu, Thanks for noticing me, i'll change.

anything else?

marbus90

Guru
This is quite a lot of nopes. Your vendor is seemingly incapable of building real servers. Please search for another one.

Fractal Design Arc Mini or Define Mini
Seasonic G-360
Supermicro X10SLL-F
Xeon E3-1220 v3
4x8GB DDR3 ECC DIMMs from Supermicros QVL

But that may be underpowered for your purposes. Here's a proper Rackmount system:
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/2U/5028/SYS-5028R-WR.cfm
together with a Xeon E5-1620 v3
and 4x16GB DDR4 ECC from the Tested Memory list
plus 2x http://www.supermicro.nl/products/nfo/SATADOM.cfm for FreeNAS boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.