read-only usb filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluca1978

Explorer
Hi all,
I'm running FreeNAS from an usb stick, but I'm having some problems with the read-only filesystem, which prevents me to install the ports into the /usr/ports directory. While this can be easily overtaken, I guess I will have to install all the software into another space rather than /usr/local. I've tried to set up my /etc/fstab to mount the / as read-write, but of course this was impossible due to the file system being already in read only mode. Is there a way to solve this?

Accurus

Dabbler
If I understand you correctly you just need to ssh into the machine and type "mount -wu /" that should give you read and write access to the filesystem.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You simply don't want to do that... The things are like that for a reason...

For install additional app you should wait for 8.2 (plugins system) or read about freebsd jail

cheers

fluca1978

Explorer
Correct, but then something else seems to happen. The filesystem is reported as read-write, but each editing operation becomes really slow. Is that normal?

fluca1978

Explorer
Uhm...doing mount -uw / and then editing /etc/fstab to set rw the root did not work, after a reboot the file system is still mounted as read only. and the original fstab has been reverted back. I suspect the fstab I'm seeing is just a memory extracted version from a USB image, right?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Uhm...doing mount -uw / and then editing /etc/fstab to set rw the root did not work, after a reboot the file system is still mounted as read only. and the original fstab has been reverted back. I suspect the fstab I'm seeing is just a memory extracted version from a USB image, right?

Yes, fstab is generated at boot, the base is at /conf/base/etc

fluca1978

Explorer
Yes, fstab is generated at boot, the base is at /conf/base/etc

Uhm...I changed the fstab for the base configuration:

[root@nas] ~# cat /conf/base/etc/fstab
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /cfg ufs rw,noauto 2 2
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 /data ufs rw,noatime 2 2

but after a reboot I still got

[root@nas] ~# uptime
11:25AM up 7 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.14, 0.12
[root@nas] ~# mount
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a on / (ufs, local, read-only, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/md0 on /etc (ufs, local)
/dev/md1 on /mnt (ufs, local)
/dev/md2 on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 on /data (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.