Re-install = ROOT MOUNT ERORR

Status
Not open for further replies.

XyNoix-HIC

Cadet
I'm uber newb, be kind, thanks

I successfully installed FreeNas 8.3 and created a pool blah blah on a REAL machine.

So I wondered what would happen if my OS USB stick died and I had to reboot the OS with a new stick.

Ok so I made a mirrored vDev using 2 SanDisks 8gig sticks in pool tank. Pull out the OS usb stick (Toshiba) and then installed OS on a SIM-something(not sure who made the stick) and then tried to reboot. I ended in a GEOM error telling me that the GPT partition is corrupted or missing. It then went on to say:

Code:
set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNass1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

? list valid disk boot devices

Idk how to copy and paste from the command prompt? So I had to manually type it out.

Okay no big, I'll just pull one of the SanDisk sticks and load the OS on there and then recover the pool and replace the now missing stick with another stick and regain my mirrored vdev again right? Wrong same error.

Okay so I pull the 2nd SanDisk installed the OS to the stick and booted the FreeNas box. Same error. I tried Universal USB installer 1, 2, 3, nothing, I tried what the command line told me to do, in the mount menu and the loader menu. nothing.

WHAT's REALLY strange is that when I put back the TOSHIBA stick, FreeNas boots right back-up no problem!

Oh and I also pulled the ram from the Nas box to see if that would help...nope.

I also turned off AHCI via BIOS, nope.

I downloaded the x64 version. My hardware is:
AMD PhenomX4 955 3.5ghz
AsRock 870Extreme3
8gigs of ram
1TB WD black (which just sits there)

Thank you in advance.

XyNoix-HIC

Cadet
Holy UPDATE batman

I uninstalled SanDisk's stupid U3 software from the disk using their utility found here:
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2550

Reinstalled FreeNas, and voila. works. WTF mate?

Still not sure why the non-brand stick doesn't work, maybe failure? Idk but I spent 6 hours on this...ugh.... AND back to being broken again. ROOT MOUNT ERROR has returned...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't image the FreeNAS USBs. It's in the FAQ. It doesn't work and nobody really understands why. I tried to image it with a sector copy in Windows and it still wouldn't work.

You backup the config file on your USB. Then if your USB stick fails you simply import your old config file. If you don't have your config file you'll have to redo all of your setup stuff, but your data is safe on the zpool.. You'll just have to auto-import your zpool.

ProtoSD

MVP
You can't image the FreeNAS USBs. It's in the FAQ. It doesn't work and nobody really understands why.

It has to do with the way flash drives remap sectors to keep them from wearing out. You *might* get lucky one time and not another time.

Just do like Noobsauce recommended, recreate your key and restore your config.

XyNoix-HIC

Cadet
Thanks for the tips!

What I was trying to figure out was exactly what I would need to do in case the FreeNas OS breaks down. It seems I need to: buy a new 4gig flash drive and restart from the beginning. Hopefully I'll have enough foresight to save that config file =) The HP format software seems to be working pretty well though.

I just want to figure out the nuts and bolts of the OS before I start trusting it with my important data.

Status
Not open for further replies.