RAIDZ1 Updating capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

vl33l

Dabbler
I will be (finally) fixing tomorrow an issue I do have with my USB boot key (have already a backup, just preparing things) and will add more space to my system.

I do have a RAIDZ1 volume :

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status																									 
  pool: MainVolume																												 
 state: ONLINE																													 
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can														   
	   still be used, but some features are unavailable.																		   
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,															   
	   the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support													 
	   the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.																			
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 22h12m with 0 errors on Thu Feb  1 22:12:33 2018														
config:																															 

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												 
	   MainVolume									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		 raidz1-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/7bca072a-6c38-11e4-9f61-e03f4986cfc1  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/7c97e50f-6c38-11e4-9f61-e03f4986cfc1  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/8e8cc095-5e71-11e6-aac5-e03f4986cfc1  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0		

From what is shown on the documentation, the process is quite simple: shutdown the system, add the drives, go to the interface and add the drives from the volume manager.

I was planning to add two more disks, but from what it's shown on the documentation (http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#extending-a-zfs-volume) I have a doubt that I would need to add an additional one, three instead of two:

• to extend a ZFS stripe, add one or more disks. Since there is no redundancy, disks do not have to be added in the same quantity as the existing stripe.
  • to extend a ZFS mirror, add the same number of drives. The resulting striped mirror is a RAID 10. For example, if ten new drives are available, a mirror of two drives could be created initially, then extended by creating another mirror of two drives, and repeating three more times until all ten drives have been added.
  • to extend a three drive RAIDZ1, add three additional drives. The result is a RAIDZ+0, similar to RAID 50 on a hardware controller.
  • to extend a RAIDZ2 requires a minimum of four additional drives. The result is a RAIDZ2+0, similar to RAID 60 on a hardware controller.
Am I correct and I can only add three drives and not two?

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes. It is complicated. What are your hardware details?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I went back and looked at your previous thread where you were fixing a boot drive problem. Your data drives are 6TB drives and setting those up as a RAIDz1 pool is kind of not a thing that would be suggested. If there were any way for you to backup your data elsewhere and reconfigure your pool to be a RAIDz2 pool instead, that would be a much better idea. I like six drives in a RAID-z2 for reliability reasons. Typically, any drive capacity over 1TB is considered to be too large to use with RAIDz1 because of the possibility that (especially as the drives age) a second drive failure could take the pool out before you can replace a failed drive. I have had two drives fail in one of my systems on the same day before, but those drives were almost 5 years old. It is just a bad feeling even when you are running RAIDz2, having two go out at once, but if you are running RAIDz1, it takes all your data.

vl33l

Dabbler
Well you're right, I could do a RAIDZ2 pool. The only issue is that I do have around 10TB of data, and quite hard to find space to backup it

my hardware is :

AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
16GB RAM
3x 6TB WD RED

I have to think of how or where I can backup my data temporarily. Any suggestions of a cheap service online maybe?

[Edit] When I want to increase the storage capacity, how many drives should I add when using RAIDz2?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
[Edit] When I want to increase the storage capacity, how many drives should I add when using RAIDz2?

Using six drives in total (after the upgrade) would be a good idea as Chris already stated, but having six drives is not necessary. Maybe reading this thread and using the ZFS Capacity Calculator suggested there would be a good starting point.

vl33l

Dabbler
Alright got it, no particular issues in just adding two drives then. I guess since I'm extending it data will not be erased right (I'm sure at 99% it's the case, but just want to be sure by experts :smile: ) ?

Well, on my NAS I only have movies and series, and very few personal documents (which I'm backing-up already on 2 locations: encrypted and stored in that form in the cloud, and on an external SSD - I did not automate this part but it's something I will do in the future, but not urgent as the documents are not changing that often). So I think I will stick with the RAIDz1.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No you can't extend a RAID-z1 pool by just adding two drives. It doesn't work that way. I have seen people try and they end up with just a couple drives striped up next to the RAID-z1 part of the pool but those drives have no redundancy and if one of them fails, the pool fails.
You would need to destroy the pool and make a whole new set or add another vdev which would take 3 drives in another RAID-z1 vdev.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

vl33l

Dabbler
Ok. How I'm supposed to work around that? I have seen the minimal requirements that says 3 disks minimal, but wasn't aware of the fact I can't just add two more drives.

Do I need to follow any specific procedure? I didn't found an answer to that on the web :/

Thanks

vl33l

Dabbler
Alright thanks for pointing me to this presentation, I definitively had to read that to understand what you were saying and what huge mistake I was going to do!! I did backup it on my notes, just in case we never know :) (btw, the last update is from March 2016 for FreeNAS 9.10, any idea an update has been made to this presentation since? It really has a lot of useful information on it, worth reading it!!)

So if I understood correctly, it's better to get a third disk (typically of another brand such as WD) and create another vdev which will be of the same size of the one I do currently have right? However in terms of storage, will it be completely transparent and just add more space to the zpool? I'm guessing yes, but want to be sure.

I will now have to think about how I do backup my important data into my SSD, but this will be another topic :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
it's better to get a third disk (typically of another brand such as WD) and create another vdev which will be of the same size of the one I do currently have right? However in terms of storage, will it be completely transparent and just add more space to the zpool? I'm guessing yes, but want to be sure.
Yes. I think you are getting it now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

vl33l

Dabbler
Alright, by end of the month I will be getting the third disk, so I may post here for some additional help if I'm confused with something.

Again thanks a lot, definitively learned something! ;-)

ethereal

Guru
You could run FreeNAS in something like virtualbox to play around and practice safely before you try it for real.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Yes, and drives attached to the FreeNAS VM can be disk files so as to not fill up the host machine. For testing, they do not need to be very big. I use 10GB as an arbitrary size, which is big enough to hold a little data. Since they are sparse files on the host, they don't actually occupy that much space unless filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.