RAID-Z3 vs Striped RAID-Z2 in 10-12 Drive Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Martin

Dabbler
It is time for me to build a new storage server and I have purchased 10x3TB WD RED drives for the setup. I want to end up with 18-25TB of usable storage but I also want to have the highest possible protection against data loss (within reason). While I will back up important data to my old FreeNAS server, losing the array in my new server will still be inconvenient enough to warrant spending extra money upfront to minimize the chance of failure.

From searching these forums I see that RAID-Z3 is acceptable on storage arrays of up to 12 disks but I am not clear on whether a 2x6 Drive RAID-Z2 has a lower probability of failure than an 11 drive RAID-Z3 given that if one of the stripes fails on the 2x6 Drive RAID-Z2 then the entire array is toast.

I have worked out the following options:
10 Drive RAID-Z3 (21TB)
11 Drive RAID-Z3 (24TB)
2x5 Drive RAID-Z2 (18TB)
2x6 Drive RAID-Z2 (24TB)
2x6 Drive RAID-Z3 (16TB) (Least preferred option unless there is compelling evidence that this is not actually overkill)

What I am trying to figure out is which option gives me a minimal probability of data loss while maximizing storage space. Also, am I good with just using the RAM recommendations as outlined in the hardware recommendations guide? I have 72GB ECC RAM I can put in the new storage server but I will use whatever is leftover in the virtualization server that I am also building.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
So given my calculator a 6 drives RAID-Z2 has a MTTDL of 1.1 x 10^11 h while a 11 drives RAID-Z3 has a MTTDL of 4.3 x 10^12 h so the RAID-Z3 wins :)

32 GB should be fine for a start, add more if you need it or have it laying around ;)

Paul Martin

Dabbler
This may be the most concise yet useful answer I've received on a web forum. Thanks very much!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You're welcome ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
10 Drive RAID-Z3 (21TB)
11 Drive RAID-Z3 (24TB)
2x5 Drive RAID-Z2 (18TB)
2x6 Drive RAID-Z2 (24TB)
2x6 Drive RAID-Z3 (16TB)
I hope you're aware that these numbers are just nominal raw space, and usable space will be significantly lower. You can use @Bidule0hm's calculator to estimate this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.