Raid Z2 4x3TB + 2x2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Kohler

Dabbler
I am thinking if adding 2x2TB WD Green drives to to my zpool. I currently have 4x3TB WD red drives in my NAS in a RAID Z2. My question is am I taking a major risk at losing data by adding the, two disk, mirrored Vdev to my zpool. I would gain 2TB of storage for a total of ~7TB which is much needed. Someone had recommended this option in one of the forums to me and I wanted a second opinion. I also watched Cyberjock's PowerPoint and see that it is definitely possible but is it advisable?

I know that I need to disable the intellipark feature on the WD Green drives to use them in a NAS.

My plans for the future would be to replace the 2TB Green drives with 3TB Red drives one at a time, and grow the array to ~10.5TB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's no risk. It's just a bit abnormal. Note that for home users this is a fine way to add disk space. If you were a company I'd call you silly for doing it, but at home it's not a big deal. Just realize that you now have 2 vdevs you need to keep from failing. ;)

Alex Kohler

Dabbler
There's no risk. It's just a bit abnormal. Note that for home users this is a fine way to add disk space. If you were a company I'd call you silly for doing it, but at home it's not a big deal. Just realize that you now have 2 vdevs you need to keep from failing. ;)
I do run a small computer business and store image backups, when doing full re installs for customers, on the NAS. I store the backups for a few weeks too just in case something goes wrong and they are needed. I am almost tempted to just buy 2 more 3TB drives, backup my data to a external, format the whole thing and do a RAIDZ2 with 6x3TB WD RED. I know that would be the preferred way but I am tight for money and have the 2TB disks now. If I go ahead and add the 2x2TB disk to the Zpool I am stuck in that configuration unless I reformat down the road which would be much harder than right now when I am just setting everything up. Is it that inadvisable to run Z2 in a 4x3tb+2x2TB?

I am crazy about maintenance and checking temps and S.M.A.R.T reading. I have setup S.M.A.R.T and IPMI email notifications, and tested that everything is working. I also setup [FreeNASTempReport](http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas-tempreport/) so that I can monitor temps from my main workstation quickly and easily. Do you think that with regular maintenance it would be a good idea.

On a side not your Powerpoint was Godsend in helping to get a grasp of what is going on in FreeNAS. Thanks for the hard work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not inadvisable, it just results in less than ideal performance. That is to say, you might not get full speed nonstop. For home users that's not a big deal as home users aren't taxing enough to make that matter at all.

The 6 disk RAIDZ2 would be "better" and you could upgrade the 2TB to 3TB later to get more disk space.

It's the proverbial "1/2 dozen of one and 6 of the other". Ideally I'd do 6 disks per vdev that are raidz2, so if you are really wanting to look at long-term options I'd do a 6 disk RAIDZ2 now and then later add 6 more disks as a RAIDZ2. Just make sure you plan ahead on buying those 6 disks. ;)

gpsguy

In the other thread, it sounded like you hadn't built the server yet and were considering RAIDz1 for 4x3Tb drives. And, you had a pair of 2Tb drives that you might use.

My suggestion (in the other thread) was to do what cyberjock said below.

The 6 disk RAIDZ2 would be "better" and you could upgrade the 2TB to 3TB later to get more disk space.

Alex Kohler

Dabbler
I had not built it yet. I started the build the day after I strated the thread.

I think one important piece of information that I left out is that I am not able to use the 2x2tb drives until I copy the data onto the new NAS because they are where I'm currently storing the data in a small cheap raid box. So I have to add a second Vdev, I cannot start with all 6 drives.

I was considering RAIDZ1 but thanks to your advice I did not choose Z1. I was actually starting this thread because of your suggestion. I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.