Raid 5 Degraded

brk9422

Dabbler
Ok thanks, will check and report back. I had all of the drive attached like always. Why would that be an issue out of curiosity? I think they were attached when I did the previous installs on the older versions, but was installing to a PATA drive.

Logikgear

Dabbler
Ok thanks, will check and report back. I had all of the drive attached like always. Why would that be an issue out of curiosity? I think they were attached when I did the previous installs on the older versions, but was installing to a PATA drive.

Oh sorry, That is just one of my idiosyncrasies. Always safer when installing an OS to have all non OS drives disconnected. I had one of my techs install to the wrong drive and wipe out customer data. You dont have to do that.

Last edited:

brk9422

Dabbler
No worries, just curious. I just swapped that BIOS setting and it worked like a charm, booted right up. I am going to restore my old config through the web interface now, shutdown, re-attach the drives, and then resilver the pool and see what happens over the next few days. Thanks again, will keep you posted.

brk9422

Dabbler
Hmmm, wondering if when I upgraded to the latest version (came from v9, now on 11.2) the ZFS/RAID functionality was changed and my old setup is no longer supported, hence why it was failing. Maybe this is a stupid question, but this is what I am trying to do via RAID-Z and don't see any way to do this.

I want to have 3 disks, all of which are 3 TB large. When I create the pool (blew old one away to start over) it shows a pool size of like 8.5 TB. Before actually creating the pool though it shows estimated pool size of ~6TB which would be correct. I like the idea of this style so that if a drive goes bad I will have time to replace it before losing all of my data, plus I don't have to buy higher capacity drives.

Is this type of striping not supported via ZFS anymore or am I totally missing something here?

Logikgear

Dabbler
It is just showing you raw storage size and actual pool size. Those numbers do seem correct. The way shows raw storage size and actual pool size is different in the new version and somewhat confusing. has it finished re-slivering? have you gotten alerts already?

brk9422

Dabbler
No I cant make it that far because I want redundancy. When I create the pool it doesnt have any and just has all 3 disks with a pool size of 8.5TB which I dont want. I detached/deleted and tried to play with the other options but dont see a way to have a "RAID 5" type setup unless I missed something??

brk9422

Dabbler
Or is it automagically doing that for me already? Now noticing the available space which would be as expected.

1548909394886.png

1548909364396.png

brk9422

Dabbler
It is just weird that the Free space (8.12TB) is diff than the Available space in the pool (5.24TB). I never have been so confused using this system before LOL Pardon my ignorance :)

Logikgear

Dabbler
Free space = Raw Drive Total Space (ignore this number most of the time)
Available Space = Actual Pool size (this number matters)

Everything looks great.

Also its called a RAIDZ not a RAID-5 in FreeNAS with ZFS.

RAIDZ = RAID-5
RAIDZ2 = RAID-6

That is what Evertb1 was talking about in post #3 on page one.

brk9422

Dabbler
Perfect, thanks for the clarification. I did read through the manual to try and figure that out but it didnt seem spelled out like that, unless I skimmed too fast. When it started talking about how many disks you needed I started to think it was like a RAID 10 config and then the total free space really threw me off on that. I will go ahead and rebuild everything and post back tomorrow with some updates.

brk9422

Dabbler
Everything seems to be working fine...minus errors I get when trying to install the plex plugin. Probably a bug or something from what I am reading and will have to manually create a jail. Disk-wise though everything seems to be good and healthy!

Logikgear

Dabbler
Everything seems to be working fine...minus errors I get when trying to install the plex plugin. Probably a bug or something from what I am reading and will have to manually create a jail. Disk-wise though everything seems to be good and healthy!

I run Plex in a VM on a ESXi Virtual Host so I won't be much help there. Glad to hear it's running error free. If you want to add more drives you could get an HBA. I would avoid SATA add in cards for the most part. The "affordable" SATA cards tend to have cheap controllers on them. HBAs use SAS controllers that are a lot better.

brk9422

Dabbler
OK good to know. I am maxed out on SATA ports on my mobo as it is, so I plan to just keep everything I got here. The only thing I would potentially do is get bigger drives down the road. If I do that, I would have to replace all drives at the same time right? I cant just put a 6TB drive in with the other 2 being 3 TB right? I mean I could, but the extra space wouldnt be available until all drives are the same size?

Logikgear

Dabbler
You are correct all drives need to be the same size. But, you can do one drive at a time and resilver in between each so you don't have to reload all your data. Also you can add an HBA which can give you 4, 8 or 16 more drives into one system.