RAID 0 to RIAD 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
Hey just a question about RAID before I jump into setting my NAS up just wondering if you can set up a volume with 2 HDD's in striping as RAID 1, and then say later down the track can you add another hdd and set it up into RAID 5 without deleting/reformatting the already 2 ZFS HDD's set up in RAID 1.

Or do you have to start again and have 3 HDD's and creat the volume as RAID 5, from the start.

Thanks.

tmacka88

Patron
Thanks mate. sucks though.

ProtoSD

MVP
Yeah, better to find out now than after you have 4GB of data and want to switch from raidz1 to raidz2 ;-)

tmacka88

Patron
what about if you have 3 HDD set up in RAID 5 can you add more HDD's keeping them all in one volume. Or do you have to set up a new volume every time you add HDD's. If you have to add a new volume every time is there a way of sharing them so when a computer connects to your share that it only sees one massive hdd so you can just keep adding more HDD's but without having to search into share 1 share 2 etc for different data?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi tmacka88 - Take a look in the FAQ in my signature (1st FAQ link). There's a question there about adding drives with several links that explain different ways of adding drives and what works and doesn't work. It's a common question with a detailed answer.

You can make them appear as one share though.

Status
Not open for further replies.