Raid 0 on controller, one volume, still 2 drives in Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there. Sorry for noob question: I created one volume (raid 0) in Hp Smart array 120i but still, in Freenas 9.3 storage I see two separate disks which can be configured in Mirror or Stripe. Is freenas completely ignoring the HP Smart Array configuration? Thanks

Attachments

• disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 224

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm guessing smart array is fake raid.

Why on earth would you want a hardware raid for Freenas disks? Have you read any of the documentation or warnings?

Actually its not fake. i forgot to mention that the main data storage is already on a Z1 raid (IBM M1015). I created a second hardware raid for other reasons (HP Microserver gen 8 is lowering its fan when sensing a raid config on its 120i controller).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If the disks are presented to the OS as separate disks then it's fake raid.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Any type of RAID occurring between the disks and the motherboard, ANY type of RAID (fake, real, red, blue, up, down) that's not controlled by FreeNAS, is a terrible accident waiting to happen with FreeNAS and/or ZFS.

Any type of RAID occurring between the disks and the motherboard, ANY type of RAID (fake, real, red, blue, up, down) that's not controlled by FreeNAS, is a terrible accident waiting to happen with FreeNAS and/or ZFS.

Thank you!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actually its not fake. i forgot to mention that the main data storage is already on a Z1 raid (IBM M1015). I created a second hardware raid for other reasons (HP Microserver gen 8 is lowering its fan when sensing a raid config on its 120i controller).

It's fakeRAID: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/...arraycontrollers/dynamicsmartarray/index.html

HP Dynamic Smart Array is a RAID solution combining a storage host bus adapter (HBA) and proprietary software components.

Also, I can't help but be reminded of obligatory xkcd.

Status
Not open for further replies.