Questions around types of drives for frequent read write

aunsoenr

Dabbler
Hi,

I currently have a hp z620 with 128gb ram, e5-2670 and the following drives:

1. 8tb media drive
2. 16gb ssd freenas o/s drive
3. 128gb ssd jail drive
4. 8tb extra drive (maybe I will use it backing up some directories)
5. 5tb hard drive, unused.

I also have an extra 240gb ssd.

Wondering where I should locate by torrent download directory? I previously had it on a 240gb ssd, right now on the 8tb backup drive. I am wondering if torrent reading and writing would damage an SSD and significantly shorten its lifespan?

In addition I want to add video recordings from my home wifi cameras.

I think the ideal configuration would be to locate my camera recordings on the 5tb drive, as well as my downloads, and use the extra 8tb drive for backup select data I need to back up. And not to use the 240gb ssd.

What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, the fears of killing memory cells on an SSD from "too many" writes is overblown for most users. Downloading torrents won't even make a dent, and reading them constantly (when you seed) won't affect the lifespan of the cells.

In your list of drives, are you listing vdevs, or literally individual drives? Is there no redundancy for your data?

aunsoenr

Dabbler
In my opinion, the fears of killing memory cells on an SSD from "too many" writes is overblown for most users. Downloading torrents won't even make a dent, and reading them constantly (when you seed) won't affect the lifespan of the cells.

In your list of drives, are you listing vdevs, or literally individual drives? Is there no redundancy for your data?

Literally drives, each drive has 1 pool, i just use rsync to backup data to the backup drive. No raid.