Question about the Plex jail, reading it right..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaccovdzaag

Dabbler
Hi guys,

Here in another topic, I've stated what I wanted to build, and what has been built in the meanwhile. Everything is running pretty solid, but I'm learning every minute since this is my first experience with FreeNAS. The Documentation page is awesome. A great read.

So. I will try to explain my current situation, and I have some question, if I'm thinking in the right way.

This is it. In Dutch, Files, Documents (with family members), Movies, Pictures, Series, Videos and jails.

9mmBJSC.png

Now, I've created a seperate group called NAS, and put everybody in there with their own account, so they have acces to their own folders, and the others which aren't personal. That works through SMB, and the machines that access those folders are Windows 10 machines. No domain. Yet.

Now, I was getting Plex and trying to get it up and running. That's done, and I have read the 'Add Storage' section. Now, to be clear:

If I would like to share the Movies, Pictures, Series and Videos folders to the Media Server, should I do the following?

- Find the plex/plex user/group and (G)ID in the Plex jail
- Make a group and user in FreeNAS with those credentials
- Make the plex/plex owner of those folders, changing permissions

And after that, on the server, make the library and sync? The client will be an Odroid C2 with OpenPHT.

Am I missing something? And are there preffered routes to choose the Destination/Source folders?

Thanks guys..

Regards,

Jacco

It kinda depends on what you want Plex to be able to do with the data. Making Plex the owner will allow it to delete files, if you only want it to be able to read then just making the files world readable will work fine. What I ended up doing is just setting the owner as my account and my samba group and then adding Plex as a user into that group on FreeNAS and then in the jail also creating that group and adding Plex as a user there.

As far as preferred destinations, if you can type in the location it's not an issue on where you place them into the jail but remembering where that storage is added. Otherwise you can place them into the "media" folder within the Plex install.

jaccovdzaag

Dabbler
That's a good one, how you made it work with the account. It only has to read, since there is another admin type of user which will be able to remove files. I will look into that, good tip.

/media will be a right one. Clear, easy to remember without long paths. Only thing is, and I guess I'm doing something wrong... When I do an 'ls -l /mnt', it won't show me any mounts, although I did add the storage in the jail. Strange.

I will have a good look at it. It's not entirely clear to me yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.