Question about Storage and Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickinfl

Contributor
Hi,

Got a couple questions about storage with zfs.

I want to setup a FreeNAS with 4 - 4 Gig drives. What is the Redundancy with 4 drives? Also is it adjustable?

Next Question what if I start adding drives to the above.
1. Can I just add drives as I want and not break or damage the data on drive set?
2. If I add another drive can I add it as Redundancy? or just storage?
3. Say I want to add 2 more 4 Gig drives to the above setup. Can 1 be added to Data and another to Redundancy if possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickinfl

Contributor
Another Question.. I'm going to get a 9211-8i card and set it to IT mode. I have 4 Hard Drives and planning on adding more and I want Redundancy. How should I set it up?

nojohnny101

Wizard

pdenommee

Dabbler
I want to setup a FreeNAS with 4 - 4 Gig drives. What is the Redundancy with 4 drives? Also is it adjustable?

4Gig hard drives are completely obsolete and are almost certainly PATA drives but current server motherboards no longer support PATA.

Rickinfl

Contributor
Correct I meant to say 4TB. But did some reading on those links and figure out what I needed to know. Build your raidz correct the first time there is no adding to them. But I have an ideal. I'm going to buy smaller cheaper TB Drives and fill all my slots. Because from what I read that's they way to do it and then later replace each drive 1 at a time to a larger drive. So I'll end up building a raidz3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.