Question about Importing ZFS pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouis1

Dabbler
I built a new file server several months back and now I'm deciding to change things up and part of that change may be switching over to FreeNAS

before I can do that though, the current server is running solaris 11, and I need to know if I can import the ZFS pool.

I've got a newish dual xeon 5570 with 48gb ram and the plan was to run server 2008 r2 for AD and hyper-v and run FreeNAS in a VM where I can import the storage pool.

If I can't do it I'll just run Solaris in the VM

I've been searching the docs and forum and haven't been able to find a clear cut answer, I was hoping someone may be able to help with that

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
A Solaris 11 zpool is probably version 34. FreeNAS cannot and probably will never be able to import that pool. The last open source zpool version from OpenSolaris before Oracle closed the source was 28, and that's what all the most up-to-date open source ZFS implementations (including the one in FreeNAS) use. zpools are not backwards compatible.

stlouis1

Dabbler
I had a feeling that might be the answer, I'll just keep running solaris for now, i'm not about to move all that data just to move it back

Status
Not open for further replies.